Fried Calamari

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rathwr, Oct 30, 2001.

1. rathwr

rathwr

Help!! I'm looking for a recipe for fried calamari - the calamari is fried the traditional way but served with black olives and peperocini with flavored with a little lemon or white wine. It is wonderful!!:rolleyes:

2. ruth

ruth

you could try an anchovy,kalamata,crushed red pepper,garlic tomato sauce,kind of like a puttanesca.

3. ruth

ruth

1 more is
    parsley.onion,mayo brandy,lemon ,garlic,s/p blend in the cuisinart.first onion,thenparsley the mayo along with lemon brandy garlic s/p it should be very grees and served cold

4. ruth

ruth

do you need fry mixes? have you tried grilling the tube whole?it is yummy it doen't take very long. after it is done score it across, as in small rings but don't cut thru the whole tube. question when you respond and i find that it says ruth you have 1 unread message is it here on this thread .or do i acess some folder . i think it was what you said at the bottom of this thread huh?

5. riverrun

riverrun

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    all i can tell u is that u don't want to over power the delicate flavor of calimari with alot of strong spices. Also when ever cooking it either cook it for under a minute or over an hour. This will ensure that it doesn't get tough like a rubber band.

6. rachel

rachel

Time to show of my ignorance. For me fried calamari are deep fried in breadcrumbs with garlic and parsely and then served with lemon and alioli . otherwise they are more like stewed calamari (at least to my thinking - but I am sure that this is simply ignorance on my part). Do you mean cooking the calamari in the puttanesca sauce?

7. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    We used to serve them as an appetizer with marinara sauce .
    We would cut them little lovlies crossways about the width of an onion ring and then your favorite bredding and fry . They kind of do look like an onion rig when fixed this way.

8. rathwr

rathwr

:bounce: Wow! Thanks for all the replies! After some trial and error I finally duplicated what I was looking for. The rings are floured, fried and then briefly sauteed in a wine/butter sauce with hot peppers (I used banana pepper rings) and black olives. Yummy :cool:
    Wendy