Fresh Tuna

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chef_bob, Mar 23, 2005.

1. chef_bob

chef_bob

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Question --- What is the acceptable amount on dark meat (blood line) in fresh sushi grade yellow fin tuna? Some chefs will only accept product where the blood line has been completely removed, others want it left on. Your thoughts?

2. chef horn

chef horn

I can’t imagine why anyone would pay $18/lb and up for something that's has to be cut off and thrown the garbage. The blood line, depending on the species and season ranges from bitter to uneatable. I have never heard of a use for it - and defiantly would be on the phone to my fish monger if a tuna loin with the blood line attached arrived at my back door - especially for sashimi/sushi.

3. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    My fish dude in Seattle (when I lived there -- I just moved to CA about a year ago) would not let me leave the shop with Ahi sporting black stuff! Bad ju ju!

4. chefb

chefb

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Just kindly call your fish monger. Ask him if he wants his scraps back. Because your not going to pay for it. Really if you have a good relationship with your purveyor he is going know. That bloodline will not be acceptable for you. Let alone any of his other customers.