Fresh ToMaToEs!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ready freddy, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    What ideas do you hhave for fresh tomatoes??

For me, today I tried this......

Fresh orange tomatoes from garden.....they are orange more than yellow, used two, both about the size of a baseball

Cut the jelly and seeds away from the body of the tomato, SAVE THiS!!!!

Put all the seeds and liquuid on a small plate.

Cut the rind and heart up into small pieces, the size you cut these are your preference, i went pretty small, imagine a dime cut into four parts.

Put some olive oil in the pan and get it hot, then add the cut up tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes.

Turn heat to low then Add the tomato jelly and seeds along with ketchup, sugar and salt.

For two baseball sized tomatoes i added a bit less than a tablespoon of ketchup, few piniches of sugar.

What kind of ideas do you have for fresh garden tomatoes? They are running out my ears.....lol.

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
  3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The obvious ones for me are fresh tomato pizza ( I often cheat and get a Papa Murphy's plain cheese and top that ) BLTs and simple tomato sandwich. Do you have a grill of any sorts? Smoked tomatoes are a nice touch in various dishes.

mjb.

4. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My breakfast for the past few weeks has been pita bread drizzled with olive oil, smeared with labneh, heavily sprinkled with za'atar and topped with sliced tomatoes.

5. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    That is a good lookin' recipe. I may try adding some grilled chicken to this recipe....And may use a thicker pasta.

Thanks Koukouvagia!

6. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    The grilled tomatoes sound really good,....i can see myself eating them all at one time :D

I will have to trty this, any seasoning advise? Thanks Teamfat

7. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey ChicagoTerry!
    ....i dont even know what labneh and za'atar is........but what you described sounds really good!!

What do the labneh and zaatar taste like?

Thank You :)

8. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I go through tomatoes like water, as I have a salad every day. A favorite is avocado tomato salad, w any additions you like, i.e. mozzarella, red onion, hearts of palm, or artichoke hearts, balsamic, etc.

If you have an over abundance, you might consider Romesco sauce, ketchup or Tomato Jam

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I love it when I receive too many tomatoes from friends. I take advantage of the tomato being a fruit. I think some of the most tasty parings is tomato with fresh fruit. Tomato, watermelon,peach salsa.

Toss tomatoes, any melon, cheese (Goat for me) in your favorite vinaigrette. Make small brochettes with tom. melon, provolone, marinated. You can even go sweet tom,fruit, honey, poppy seeds etc.

The best sorbet I ever made was tomato-watermelon. If I can't use them all I will make my own dried tomatoes. little olive, kosher salt. spread out on rack or sheet pan, when they get a little dry I put them in a very low oven to dry thoroughly yum.food saver or baggies. Great addition to winter meals.

@READY FREDDY  ,

on that recipe above, don't let the basil sit in the tomatoes, it will turn black, add at the end. If your tomatoes are acidic put a splash vinegar or flash some onions in a pan, don't use sugar.

OMGosh, AND NEVER ADD OIL TO YOUR PASTA WATER!!! It will change the integrity of the pasta. Ok, that's all/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif  

10. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Heaven Terry.....

I enjoy sliced tomatoes with basil and olive oil.

I make fresh tomato basil soup or roasted garlic, tomato and dill soup.

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think the reason for the thinner pasta might be because the sauce is not hot and does not penetrate the noodle as much as a hot sauce.  I'm just guessing here but I'm sure you can use any pasta you like.

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A favorite breakfast around here is grated tomatoes (discard the skins) in a frying pan with olive oil.  Sautee for a minute or 2 and then break some eggs into it.  Wait for the yolk to set and then serve.  Obviously you can add other ingredients in there too, hot chilies, onions, herbs, etc.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  13. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Labneh is yogurt strained until it becomes the consistency of a soft cream cheese. You can make it yourself by straining yogurt. If you start with Greek yogurt, you are already half-way there. Otherwise, if you have a Middle-Eastern or international market near you, you can buy it already made.

Za'atar is a Middle Eastern seasoning made here with thyme, sesame seeds, sumac which is slightly tangy/sour and salt. In the Middle East, the herb is usually something called Hysop, I have read. Or other herbs indigenous to the area the Za'atar is being made. 

14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

I think this is a yellow brandywine. I seem to have misplaced the map of my garden. 581 grams. The sweet 100 might be a gram.

mjb.

15. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Great ideas Cerise, thanks, ketchup would be fun to make and taste.

16. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Great ideas Cerise, thanks, ketchup would be fun to make and taste!! :)

17. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank You Panini, Awesome stuff!!!

The mixing of the tomatoes and fruit is very intruiging........nothing like that had ever crossed my mind.......sounds pretty tasty!!!

The drying of tomatoes makes my mouth water!.....i have a dehydrator, would it work for this also? Do you remove the jelly stuff?

18. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Sounds good Chefross, thanks, I am going to try the tom, basil, and oo her in a bit.

19. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the insight on the reason for the thinner pasta, this makes a lot of sense......I would have screwed up the recipe using the big stuff.......hahahaha

Also going to try the breakfast tomatoes n eggs, never had thought of doing that.

Thanks a lot KouKouvagia.

20. ready freddy

ready freddy Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the awesome explanations of labneh and za'ata, ChicagoTerry. ThankYou!!!