Fresh Sausage Question

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chezj023, Jan 26, 2015.

1. chezj023

chezj023

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi all!

We are putting a fresh sausage on the menu, in patty form, cooked on the flat top, served on sliders. My concern is how perishable fresh sausages are, as our restaurant business is inconsistent due to banquets, etc...

recipe includes locally sourced ground pork butt and simple seasonings.

Should we add pink salt to the recipe?

should we consider making patties and freezing?

any feedback will help!

thank you!!

2. chefjasonb

chefjasonb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've made fresh Italian pork sausage for pasta dishes in the past, and didn't use pink salt with great results.  Like any ground meat, the color will change over time with oxidation.  If possible make small batches.  But I suggest playing with the fat to meat ratio.  Too little fat and it will be dry.  Also adding a liquid would help somewhat and maybe add another flavor profile.

3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Fresh sausages?  3-5 days maximum in the cooler.

Wrap and freeze?

4. frankie007

frankie007

Exp:
    professional chef over 20 years
    I froze mine with no problems. If you are using fresh garlic  make sure it is cooked or infuse in water and discard otherwise it will go green in the mix due to oxidation. My mix is 75% meat to 25% fat minimum. 10% of total weight of the mixture should be ice cold liquid that you work in slow. It could be water, reduced white wine etc. It took a good few trials for me to get my recipe right so I would advise you do the same. Plain sea salt only. Good luck 

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Since sausage patties are sold frozen, you can freeze your fresh ones. just take out what you think you will need for todays business. You can hold in a fridge at 39F for about 5 days.

Use regular salt  70%Pork  Butt   30% fat ( 8-to 10 % H20 .based on weight of entire batch.

6. chezj023

chezj023

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thank you Chefs for the advice and info!

7. chefflahertycec

chefflahertycec

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    omit pink salt, 70 - 30 ratio protein to fat ratio. make your patties ahead and freeze... obviously fresh is better but considering the product at hand, The freezing process shouldn't effect quality as much as sitting on it in your cooler.