"Fresh" cod filets

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by live_to_cook, Dec 14, 2000.

1. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Against all instincts I bought some "fresh" cod at the supermarket fish counter.

Broiled it with lemon zest and anise and was shocked by how much liquid (water?) it threw off. A pound and a half of fish left a quarter-inch of liquid in a 9 by 9 inch pan, when there was none before. I'm used to seeing some water, but this was a bath.

Then it crumbled as I tried to remove it from the pan.

What could have caused that? Does frozen fish throw off more liquid? If anyone could shed light on my puzzlement I'd appreciate it.

2. bob s

bob s

The Cod you bought was probably frozen....or wj=hat they call re-freshed......it is a bad way to buy fresh fish....I would ask for a refund

3. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Re-freshed? What's that?

4. bob s

bob s

Re freshed is frozen product that is thawed and sold as fresh....get a refund

5. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Thanks for the info and the suggestion... next time I will.

6. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    my suggestion is that if the place lets you handle something you may purchase - probably highly unlikely, but if they do, give the fillet a squeeze, if it gives off any water whatsoever, then it has been frozen.

Obviously, this will be given off during the cooking process.

7. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Thanks for the suggestion Nick... but it's hard to imagine a supermarket clerk complying... I'm such a chicken when it comes to asking for such things.

8. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    another alternative is to get the clerk to squeeze the fillet for you and watch for a veritable shower of water to come out of the fillet - if you cant handle it, let them do it.

9. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

It really is the only way... I'm just going to have to be brave...