Fresh Chervil

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefwriter, Jan 3, 2018.

1. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Fresh chervil doesn't seem to be available in any of the local stores. Several years ago at the local farmers' market here in upstate New York I met a farmer who had plenty two weeks prior but said no one wanted it. I forgot to record the name of the farm. Finally found them again this week. They will be selling the starter plants but no longer the harvested herb. So naturally I'll be buying those and growing my own. She told me I was the only one interested.
    Chervil is listed in many books as one of the basic French herbs. I greatly enjoy using it on those rare occasions when I can find it. So this recent experience leads me to ask if any of you have it available in fresh or dried form and what you might use if for.

kovic likes this.
  2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I’ve heard of it but I’ve never had it that I know of. It is not available in my local shops and I’ve mever looked for it. What does it taste like and what is it used for?

3. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chervil for me is like a weak parsley. That is not bad, just not as pronounced. I like it because it has a slight anise/fennel kinda flavor. I love it to season breakfast eggs like omelets or scrambled. It's also nice with gently seasoned grilled chicken. It snaps up a lightly dressed salad.

4. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I haven't seen chervil in a market since I left LA 15 years ago, just not that popular. I used to buy it then, I liked in cream based sauces, chicken, eggs, etc also.

5. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I use it dried. It's very nice for a dish that needs a little time to finish, like fish stews or soups. I think dried herbs are put down too much.

6. aplomb

aplomb

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Wish I could find it. Thinking of getting some seeds and see if I can get it to grow.

7. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Fresh chervil pluches make a lovely garnish for dishes... cheaper than micro greens and look better IMO.

8. kovic

kovic

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chervil is the gorgeous offspring of parsley and tarragon. It has a mild flavour with undertone of liquorice and anis. It is used to finish sauces like chasseur, Italienne, chivry, beurre blanc and béarnaise. Not to mention how sexy it looks as a garnish and to second @someday way cheaper then micro greens with a longer life span.

Sadly it seems to be not so popular in north America. It's mostly used in traditional French cooking and with the uprising of modern cooking I guess that if you don't have access to a restaurant food service supplier it must be quite hard to get.

Growing your own organic fresh chervil is always the best option tho @chefwriter

I wonder if it's still widely used in France home cooking any French chef out here?

drirene likes this.
  9. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Chervil is very easy to grow, because it likes a good bit of shade. So far as I can tell this is the only way to get the real thing in most of the US.

10. aplomb

aplomb

Exp:
    Home Chef
    i thank my lucky stars i can still get marjoram

11. smyrf

smyrf

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Here in Belgium (just over the border) it's readily available in supermarkets, but I've got a feeling it's mostly popular in soups here, which are something of a staple in the local cuisine. I bought it once or twice but was quite underwhelmed, went the soup route to use it up but it had a bland bitterness I wasn't too crazy about. I don't find it anywhere near as interesting as parsley or tarragon which were mentioned above as herbs with similar flavours.

Also the leaves (as well as the stalks) are so delicate that once you wash them, I found you have to use it almost immediately...

12. halmstad

halmstad

Exp:
    Line Cook
    We get it fresh in NC. We also use it as a garnish the same way we would use micro greens. We also use it in our herb blend along with chives and parsley for finishing things like sauces.