Fresh cherries coming out my ears

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mom, Jul 14, 2003.

1. mom

mom

What to do? I have 10 pints of lovely ripe fresh picked bing cherries sitting on my kitchen counter compliments of my energetic children and their overly generous grandparents who own the cherry tree. Now what??? Does anyone have any ideas of how I can use or preserve them FAST??? (or the address of a great website devoted to the fresh cherry?) I fear by tomorrow they will be starting to self-destruct and then it will just be tears and compost. Please help.
    Love
    Mom:eek:

2. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    How wonderful! :bounce:
    I'm sure some of the fantastic bakers here will supply you with more than enough great recipes. What I can offer is what the cherry growers around here have told me: you can keep the cherries for several days (maybe even a week) if you wrap them in paper towels (don't wash them until you are ready to use them) and put the bundles in zip-lock baggies in the fridge.

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Bing cherries! I am assuming the sweet kind. (We have the lighter-colored, tart cooking cherries aplenty here in Wisconsin).

How about a nice cherry crostata? (Italian tart)
    No-cook jam or preserves
    Can't you pit them, freeze them on trays, then swoop them into airtight bags? It's worth a try!
    Juice
    Fruit leather
    Soaked in liquor (your choice) to make a lovely cordial
    Fruit soup
    Muffins
    Cook some up into a sauce (as for duck), then freeze or can

4. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Make a syrup with water, sugar, 2-3 star anise, a squeeze of lemon juice. Let it cool and poor over the pitted cherries. You can keep them jarred like this for several weeks. And you'll love the flavour!

5. mom

mom

Thank you so much for the wonderful answers to my dilemma. Keep them coming. I've just finished sorting & bagging all of the cherries with the paper towel/baggie idea. (Whew! Thanks Phoebe!) That'll buy me a bit of time while I continue to collect these fantastic ideas.
    Love
    Mom:D
    PS Yes, Mezzaluna, they are very sweet which is probably why they have such a short shelf life. I really appreciated your post, I'll have fun in the kitchen this week!

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I hope you have a cherry pitter; it'll make your life a lot easier. I'd use some now, and freeze some for later, the way Mezz. suggested. Cherry clafoutis are wonderful in the summer, as are pies and cobblers.

7. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    mom,

Post your question at this Harvest Forum and you'll receive a bunch of "home recipes", suggestions and solutions.

:bounce:

8. mike

mike

make kirsh
    or clatoufis
    like the website its good to see people growing food.

9. mom

mom

Well, this is a new one on me, never heard of a clafoutis, but have done some research and found a few nice recipes. Most call for kirsch but I don't have any on hand. Would amaretto work as well?
    Thanks again for all the great info. This site has been a fantastic learning tool, hope I can help others the way I've been so generously assisted.
    Love,
    Mom
    PS. Cherry pitter is now definitely on my Christmas list ;)

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ameretto should be ok I never use liquor in Calfouti.....so don't even bother . Cherry pitters run under $10 bucks for a greathand held on...I just used on e a few days ago at a client's home

11. pongi

pongi

I too never use liquor in Clafoutis!
    If you have a few time, consider that in the "traditional" recipe cherries must not be boned, as bones are supposed to give additional flavour to clafoutis. Personally I can't say whether this special flavour it's worth the annoyance of spitting all the bones, and strongly suspect that Limousin peasants have no time to bone cherries as well...but if you're a Busy Mom you could like more THIS recipe!;)

Pongi