French Seafood Techniques

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by helloitslucas, Jul 10, 2014.

1. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hello all! I have been studying seafood intensely lately and I am looking to extend my knowledge of cooking seafood using classic French recipes and techniques. I was hoping someone could send me in the right direction for books, chefs and/or recipes. I've done a lot of research online, but I am sure some of you have a few gems of information that would help me out.

Thank you! :)

2. oldschool1982

oldschool1982

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I think it was back in '83-84, I received for Christmas "Classics from a French Kitchen". It had some very solid recipes and I think I saw it available from Amazon. Then there's Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and The Escoffier Cookbook.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  5. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    How could I forget this?! Thank you! My amazon list is growing by the minute. Thank you all and if anyone has any other books or websites to check out I would really appreciate it.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Jasper White is a master of seafood. I wouldn't characterize his dishes as particularly French though. He's written some books and has been a guest chef on countless cooking shows. Check youtube probably. 

As far as a total cuisine approach to seafood, I think the Chinese are probably my favorite.  Simple approaches, respectful of the ingredient as well as a variety likely unequaled anywhere else with so many salted and dried varieties as well. 

For example, a steamed whole fish with fantastic flavor you really must try:

http://www.steamykitchen.com/132-chinese-steamed-fish.html

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    My humble opinion it's Eric Rippert for any kind of fish

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ripert, indeed. The only other person I can think of currently on the planet who can cook fish at the same level as Ripert  is Morimoto, but he's not French.

mjb.

9. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello Lucas, been a while since we spoke! I just ordered these two books from Amazon France and it's all your fault! Maybe you're interested as well but they are in French.

Hope your girlfriend speaks French? I didn't know either there was a Larousse on fish. I'm not sure if it's translated in english. I just read that a brandnew french edition is planned to appear in september.

The second book I ordered is much more an art book on cooking fish Japanese style. You can scroll through a few pages on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.fr/Le-Larousse-poissons-coquillages-crustac%C3%A9s/dp/2035852129/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405085084&sr=8-2&keywords=larousse+de+poissons

Le Larousse des poissons, coquillages et crustacés - Jacques Le Divellec

http://www.amazon.fr/Poissons-Chihiro-Masui/dp/2723464199/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_2

Poissons un art du Japon - Chihiro Masui