French onion pairing

Joined Sep 19, 2017
Hi all im planning a dinner party for some friends because i'm going to be cutting a tonne of onions to work on knife skills not letting them go to waist i was going to make a french onion soup but i dont know what to have as a protien any suggestions keep in mind im a student so nothing like a beef tender loin

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I would do the soup as a first course, followed by a salad possibly, then your entrée. In that case, you could go just about any way you would want, but I think I would keep it simple and classic. A herb roasted chicken, or nice roast pork. Not sure where you are at, but here in Wisconsin it is starting to feel like autumn so I would pair either of those with some roasted root vegetables or maybe brussel sprouts.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
With the soup starter (make it very beefy with homemade stock) and follow with a simple second course.
I see a mélange (slightly colder than room temp) of colorful beets that have been roasted and dressed with a sweet/tart dressing that would cut the richness of the soup and clear the palate for a nice fatty pork roast with natural gravy and a few roasted petite potatoes (crispy skins!) hit with a handful of freshly chopped parsley (to get the green in lol).
Adjourn to another room for dessert (I would keep this light...maybe a platter with a choice of 3-5 simple cookies and one killer dark chocolate) served with coffee and brandy.

Hmmm I need to keep this menu in mind for the winter holidays.

mimi

Joined Sep 21, 2001
French Onion soup is a meal in itself. I find pairing it with a salad and maybe a light small plate protein is fine. That way you leave room for a little dessert. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom