French onion pairing

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Edgycook, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Edgycook

Edgycook

Exp:
    Prep at jack astors bar and grill
    Hi all im planning a dinner party for some friends because i'm going to be cutting a tonne of onions to work on knife skills not letting them go to waist i was going to make a french onion soup but i dont know what to have as a protien any suggestions keep in mind im a student so nothing like a beef tender loin

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would do the soup as a first course, followed by a salad possibly, then your entrée. In that case, you could go just about any way you would want, but I think I would keep it simple and classic. A herb roasted chicken, or nice roast pork. Not sure where you are at, but here in Wisconsin it is starting to feel like autumn so I would pair either of those with some roasted root vegetables or maybe brussel sprouts.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    With the soup starter (make it very beefy with homemade stock) and follow with a simple second course.
    I see a mélange (slightly colder than room temp) of colorful beets that have been roasted and dressed with a sweet/tart dressing that would cut the richness of the soup and clear the palate for a nice fatty pork roast with natural gravy and a few roasted petite potatoes (crispy skins!) hit with a handful of freshly chopped parsley (to get the green in lol).
    Adjourn to another room for dessert (I would keep this light...maybe a platter with a choice of 3-5 simple cookies and one killer dark chocolate) served with coffee and brandy.

Hmmm I need to keep this menu in mind for the winter holidays.

mimi

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Steak au poivre with brandies mushrooms and potatoes au gratin. Tyler Florence did an episode a long time ago that featured these dishes with French onion soup and i love it. http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/tylers-ultimate/episodes/ultimate-bistro

I would also add a salad to lighten things up and a very light dessert. Haven't thought of one yet but I'll chime in if I do.

5. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    French Onion soup is a meal in itself. I find pairing it with a salad and maybe a light small plate protein is fine. That way you leave room for a little dessert. ;)

6. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Well caramelized onions become so rich. and then a great stock is added....all you need is some good French baguette

flipflopgirl likes this.