French Macaroons

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by louise, Jan 7, 2006.

1. louise

louise

After 20+ failed attempts with different recipes of making the perfectly smooth, round, crispy and chewy, each with their foot French Macaroons, I am very desperate and helpless. I have tried all the tips from setting different temp to resting before baking but I have suceeded it once.
    HOw come they crack so easily and why are these ubiquitous cookies so problematic??!!:confused:

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to Chef Talk, Louise.

This topic has come up before. I remember it well, because I needed a recipe for them as well. I typed "macaroons" into the search function of this board and got this list of threads: http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/searc...earchid=183628

Good luck! let us know how things go.

Mezzaluna

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Try doubling your parchment paper, and using high bottom heat, or just low down in thw oven. also, whip your whites and sugar VERY stiff. I only make these in small batches (maybe 200 at a time), or the mix starts to break down, and the last few trays crack..

4. louise

louise

Thanks for the tips....my biggest problem seems to the cracks. They all start out fine but soon after (several minutes before they are supposedly done) begin to crack on surface one by one! SO distressing and heartbreaking!
    I've tried alternating with various temp degrees (start high then low, or low through out but to no avail). I will take up on your tips and repeat!!