French Fries

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Okay... this is ironic. Ha ha ha.

I make dreadful fries at home. A real fryolator is the secret, along with a two stage fry. At home I struggle with temp control and accuracy with small fryers or stovetop frying.

But as part of your reasearch... Daglas, at Vanowen and Winnetka. Check it out and let me know when you are ready... it will be on me. The food, that is... I'm not able to cover any medical costs resulting from clogged arteries.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I realize that I sound like a total fanboy lately, but do watch Heston Blumenthal, "In Search of Perfection," episode on Fish and Chips. The man did develop a genius recipe for fries, and he knows what he's talking about. I've tried it, and it works beautifully.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Welcome lowercase frenchfries not to be mistaken from the real French Fries. I would soak the cut potato fries over night in the refer.  DryThen fry at 300 degrees until 80 to 90% cooked. Let cool and drain until the final fry to crisp at 375 degrees. I would also try to use an Electric fry pan so the fries can swim better in the extra room in the pan. The fry daddy Isn't a good fryer for anything. Try to use any temp adjustable controlled fryer with a volume that will give the fries room. Also make sure the potatoes are cut uniformly to insure consistent cooking......

Joined Apr 3, 2008
It depends on what you're looking for.  Nowadays I think people expect fries that are way too crispy IMO.  Commercial french fries you get at chain restaurants have been partially cooked, then frozen.  Then they are partially cooked, cooled and fried again before served.

I make good french fries using a shallow pot and a combination of peanut oil and olive oil.  Sure I can soak my potatoes and then dry completely but that is such a hassle.  I simply peel my potatoes, slice them, and put them in the hot oil.  They come out a little soft but I quite like them.  I'm looking for flavor about all else and this flavor is good for me.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It depends on what you're looking for.  Nowadays I think people expect fries that are way too crispy IMO.  Commercial french fries you get at chain restaurants have been partially cooked, then frozen.  Then they are partially cooked, cooled and fried again before served.

(Snip).

That, plus more. Commercial fries are often coated with starch after the initial factory pre-cook to ensure crispy (and pumped up labor) when re-fried.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom