freezing roasted garlic?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by durangojo, Oct 8, 2010.

1. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i know i can, but how much will it suffer?...we're talking 6 months....thanks

joey

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It does pretty well in my experience if well wrapped and protected from freezer burn.

3. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    covered in oil, no, si?

joey

4. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Durangojoey,

How much are we talking about?  Unless it's something very special, it's probably not worth the freezer space or the energy.

BDL

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    No oil. I actually froze it for making a quick garlic oil on demand as a home cook. Garlic oil is not something to make at home and store as it's not really safe unless used fairly quickly. Which is not a feature of most home cooking. But I could take a couple of cloves and thaw in a few seconds in the microwave and make a pleasant mellow garlic oil from them very quickly.

This was something I picked up from Helen Witty in her The Good Stuff Cookbook which I think quite highly of.

Granted, here in the pro forum, you have different scales of operation.

6. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    if it wasn't alot, i would not be concerned about it at all...., as it stands alone ,its  a 3LB container... seems justifiable to think about it one more time before the tossout ...freeze it whole or process.?.just  someone send me the word, so as i don't feel so guilty...food shelters here will not accept anything that has been opened...sadly, their and my loss...thanks

joey

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I  have frozen both raw cloves and roasted cloves vac-packed and had no problems other that when thawed the raw cloves thru out a bit of water and were softer Never froze either chopped or pureed..

8. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    thanks ed, 

i feel alot less guilty, as only us catholics can, about not throwing it out. i was gonna just freeze it anyway, just to see what happened, but hadn't thought of vacu sealing it...thanks again

joey