Freezing previously frozen cooked cod

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Hi all :)

I have some frozen v-packed cod in my freezer. I need to do a defrost for 24 hrs. meaning the cod is going to thaw. I don't want to refreeze it, so, can I cook it, and then freeze that for a few weeks?

Thanks in advance,

Joined Oct 6, 2020
Personally I wouldn't. The quality would deteriorate. Especially with something delicate as fish.

I'm curious to hear the opinions of the more expert amongst us.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I dont have a well-insulated container, and won't the ice just melt?
That’s a shame. Yes, the ice melts and the frozen foods start to thaw. If the insulation is good enough and there is enough ice… the food could likely survive the ordeal. Hope you don’t have a major investment in frozen food. Good luck.

Joined Dec 19, 2014
It's about 6 peices of Cod, so it's not that big a deal. It's not so much the money, as I just do not like wasting food.

So, cooking and then freezing is a no-go?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
You could but the quality might be just as bad as if you refrozen it raw. If I were in your spot I’d have a couple of friends over for a fish fry. I agree, wasting food is completely objectionable.

EDIT. Also, if I were to cook and refreshed I’d consider using the cod to make a fish chowder rather than using it as a stand-alone protein on a future meal. A way to mask any dryness.

Last edited:
Joined Oct 9, 2008
If you add an egg white and a little potato or tapioca starch to the mix, you can turn these into quenelles. They won't be as delicate as Escoffier would want, but cover them with a gratin sauce and they'll be very good. The only big trick is that you have to thaw them UN-covered, on a rack, because otherwise they'll tend to weep a cubit s&*t-ton of water and screw up your textures.

If you're comfortable with Japanese cooking methods, you could mix them roughly 50/50 with cheap frozen pollock and make oden cakes, chikuwa and such, which have the great advantage of being very durable and made well in advance of service, but you'd have to have some idea what you're aiming at and people who like oden in the first place, which I find an awful lot of Westerners do not. (Let me know if you want to try it, though.)

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I would make cod cakes. Brown them in a pan. Then wrap them in plastic, put them in a ziploc bag and freeze them in your preferred portion size.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Though cod is a delicate fish, so is brook trout. We used to clean them, and put into cleaned, cardboard milk cartons fill with water, and freeze them They were as fresh tatting, and as good in December as they were when we caught them in July. The key is to completely isolate them for all air. You could also freeze them in vacuum freezer bags.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Styrofoam coolers are cheap, and insulate very well. I even got them for free from a pharmacy, as that is what cold sensitive medications are shipped in, and they just discarded them. . Dry ice is also inexpensive, and doesn't turn to liquid as it melts. It will keep your foods frozen solid, Using the Styrofoam, and dry ice during a power outage, kept my food frozen for a week.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Top Bottom