Freezing oranges and squash

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kevin20422, Dec 23, 2009.

1. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The local market has oranges (not sure of type) at 19 cents a pound and squash at 29 cents a pound next week. I can always use the orange in smoothies and we love squash for both the seeds and in a dish with feta, olives, basil; I would like to make soup too.

Is there some way I can buy this is fairly large bulk and freeze them for future use. There was a site with info about fruits and vegatables but it did not mention freezing, at least for the orange I know.

I sure appreciate all the help everyone has given me here and hope you dont mind all the questions.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Hi, Kevin, sorry it took a while to answer this.

Wow, that's some price! I'd snap up as much as I had room for in the freezer. But I wouldn't just throw them in as bought. And neither should you. :p

Squeeze the oranges and put the juice (and as much pulp as you like) in portion-size containers to freeze. Well-sealed plastic freezer bags would probably work well -- you can lay them out flat on a sheet pan to freeze, then either thaw the bagful or just break it up right into the blender when you make the smoothie.

As for the squash -- again, you need to process before freezing. Winter squash with hard shells, yes? Peel, cut up, and package in portions. Remember that it will be a little watery when you cook it later. Or cook it, puree it, and freeze the puree. You can clean off the seeds and roast them; they'll keep well. I've even just let the seeds dry out, spread out on a pan on the counter, and they were fine. Freezing will help keep them a little longer, since seeds could go rancid, but that probably won't be an issue if you use them soon.

Your questions are fine -- we're here to help people enjoy cooking! :thumb:

3. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks for the advice Suzanne. I was off on the squash it is just down to $0.77 per lb. A good buy but not that rare. I went ahead and got enough oranges for the fridge to last a few weeks. What I did pick up alot of was bone in rib-eye at $4.99 / lb. I got $200 worth, 8 five lb roasts, I also have a 10 per cent off coupon since I work at the grocery. The new culinary interest works well being a grocery checker as it give me tons of things to talk about with my old friends at check out.

I am busy working on new ways to make Risotto and need to get some good knives and want to make Creme-Brule so I have enough in the pan right now to keep me very busy.

It is great to have the information though and I do appreciate your comments.

I double wrapped the ribeye in freezer paper and plan to use them up within about 3 months.

Seasons Greeting, Kevin.

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    OMG how big is your freezer????? :eek:

And when can I come over for dinner? :lol:

5. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You know Suzanne when I talk about my recipes everyone and there brother thinks they are invited to dinner. In your case just a couple more great responses and you are in.

We live in Parker Colorado and you will have to provide your own airfare.

I was off the squash really is 29 cents a lb.

See my new post opening in a theatre near you.