freezing of crab ravioli

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by lobster, Aug 28, 2003.

1. lobster

lobster

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I request a consensus as to the longest one might hold homemade crabmeat (seafood in general?) ravioli in the freezer? One week? 2 weeks? I usually make them the morning I plan to use them, but wondered if I couldn't make them further ahead and freeze? If I use fresh crab, or the minimally pasteurized crab, there shouldn't be significant taste or textural losses with 'brief' freezing, should there? (I make my own pasta dough for these). Thanks in advance.

2. mike

mike

Never tried freezing pasta but the crab should be fine after all it is sold in tins & that muck lasts forever !!

3. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My experinece has been mixed. When I purchased frozen, seafood stuffed ravs, they held up well; no 'popping' or otherwise noticeable damage. However, the flavor has just been ok.
    When I make my own, the little ravioli 'pockets' rupture after a day or 2 in the freezer. However, the flavor of the fresh-made product is far superior to the commercially produced.
    Hope this helps.

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In the restaurants I have worked at we often times freeze homemade raviolis, made with homemade pasta and our own stuffing mixes. Our procedure for freezing the ravs where this: after making the ravs, lay them on a semolina dusted tray(single layer) and let them "dry" for 1-2 in the cooler. Then we placed that tray in the freezer for a few hours or overnight. After the ravs were frozen solid we placed them into ziplock bags for longer term storage. We have never had a problem with our ravs "popping" as Jim describes.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Petes methode is how I also freeze filled pastas.It works perfectly.

I do however like to use the pasta quickly and not keep it in the freezer for more then about 10 days.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    that would be 1-2 hours, sorry if there was any confusion!!!!:eek:

7. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I go straight to freezer... perhaps that is why my ravs sometimes pop? I'll try to 'rest' them in the cooler.