Featured Freezing herbs for bearnaise?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Mona123, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Mona123

Mona123

Exp:
    home cooking
    Hello, would the quality of the herbs suffer if were too freeze them? They are expensive, and i would like them not dying before ill make another bearnaise.

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Just make up the base gastrique for the bearnaise. With the vinegar and sugars from the wine it should stay good for awhile. Otherwise if you have to use dry tarragon.

3. Mona123

Mona123

Exp:
    home cooking
    Nice suggestion, should i store it in the fridge or freezer? and do you know how long it will keep ballparkish?

4. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I don't know how long in the fridge. Quite a while in the freezer I bet.

5. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If I may make a suggestion.....Instead of freezing your herbs, why not make vinegar out of them? Place your washed tarragon in a bottle and fill with vinegar.. Allow to sit in the pantry. Now you have infused vinegar with which to make your Bearnaise.

kuan likes this.
  6. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Tarragon vinegar is one of my favorites.

7. Mona123

Mona123

Exp:
    home cooking
    Is tarragon infused vinegar enough for bearnaise, i thought that idealy i should tarragon vinegar and tarragon herbs?

8. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Other
    Plant some in a pot and keep it on a sunny windowsill! Otherwise if it is on stems you can wrap in a damp paper tower and place in a plastic bag with the top open. It will keep a week or two in the fridge that way

drirene likes this.
  9. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Herbs are expensive and it only gets worse when you end up throwing most of it out.
    Growing your own is ideal but I have another solution that may fly.
    There are a couple of labels that have started bundling a few stems, enuf for one or two dishes (I am paying a buck per) to replace the "grabs" we are used to buying.
    Best idea since sliced white bread.
    Talk to the produce guy where you do most of your shopping and ask if he would get some in for you to try.
    Tell him once everyone knows it is there he won't be able to stock the shelves fast enuf.

mimi

10. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef

Yes but wait a month to infuse the flavor. You may also add dry or fresh tarragon to the already made Bearnaise

11. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We used to make up a bunch of the "seasoning" mix for béarnaise and freeze it. We would mince shallots, put in a pot, add red wine vinegar and reduce slightly then add in the fresh tarragon. We'd divide it into 2oz portion cups and freezer, then pull what we needed. It would only take about an hour to thaw and come to room temp. then we would whisk it into our hollandaise. You couldn't tell the difference.

flipflopgirl likes this.