Freezing basil?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Saw this technique somewhere on the net, anyone tried it?

20200902_092010.jpg

Freezing fresh, chopped basil leaves in olive oil. Theory is you pull one or two cubes out when needed, get that fresh basil flavor in whatever you're making. Guess I'll see how it goes.

And how do you pronounce 'basil'? Bay-sil, bah-sil or fawl-tee?

mjb.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
For me it is bay-sill rhymes with Hazel. Bah-sil always brings fawl-tee to mind!

We freeze basil, but without the water. It does darken, but is used as an ingredient that is mixed in, so it looks fine in the end product - and the flavor is still perfect. And while doing the water thing may keep it lighter green, it still looks pretty awful thawed.

For our use, we chop it fine (Robot coup) and freeze on sheets. Once frozen, we vacuum pack into quart sized bags. Once opened, we put the working basil into a soup container and weigh out what we need.

We do this for all of our herbs and fresh ginger. It allows us to by large amounts directly from local farmers, and have handy, already prepped ingredients available when we need them.

This is basil, parsley, and rosemary.
Herbs.jpg

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I've never tried that. But, why not just make a pesto minus the salt, parm and pine nuts, jar it and use that? You can make a larger volume and it will keep for a very long time in the fridge.

Another option is to simply buy a few basil plants at the store, put them on a window sill and water them every few days. Four or five healthy basil plants will yield more basil than you will probably use and they have the extra added benefit of looking great in a kitchen. :)

Cheers!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Haven't tried basil, but I have frozen choooed coriander (cilantro) in ice cube trays with water and that worked well.

Joined May 5, 2010
Teamfat, I've been doing that for years with many of my herbs. I used a min-muffin cup pan. After freezing, I pop them out and store them in a Ziplock bag in the freezer.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Why not just dig it up, pot it and bring it in the house for the winter and keep cutting it back when it bolts? My Bay tree lives inside so I have fresh bay leaves year 'round. When some do darken I trim that off and dry them. You can also dry herbs in the microwave. I've had good success with dill, tarragon, etc. haven't tried basil though so YMMV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom