Freezer out for 8 hours, is the food still good?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abefroman, Apr 30, 2010.

1. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My power was out for 8 hours last night, is the food in the freezer still good?  The freezer wasn't opened durning that time.

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It should be fine. The best time to check on that kind of thing is when the power just comes back on. Open the freezer and see if anything had leaked or what defrosted.  Otherwise, depending on what was in there it could be a little bit of a gamble but probably not much.

3. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks!  I just check the ice cubes and they look normal size so they didn't defrost.

4. venom

venom

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This only applies if you are not opening and closing the freezer but the Centers for Disease Control guidelines are:
    • A half full freezer will hold food safely for 24 hours.
    • A full freezer will hold food safely for 48 hours.

8 hours..........you should have no problems.

5. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks!

6. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A few years ago when we had the big blackout (parts of Canada and the northeast US were without power for up to 48 hours in some places) I had a full freezer and refridgerator and the only thing I lost was a bunch of celery and a head of lettuce.  Everything else was fine.  I kept the fridge and freezer closed and I used tap water for cold water to drink so as not to let any heat into the fridge or freezer.  I know of people who lost alot of food but we thanfully weren't one of those families.

7. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Abe, overall you should have no problems. Certainly none from a safety viewpoint.

However, some of the stuff may now be suffering freezer burn, because, while it stayed basically frozen, the surface thawed and refroze. So there could be a slight problem with quality of some of the items.

8. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Quote:
    Thanks!

I did notice a little freezer burn