Freeze and reuse broth left over from beef stew?

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Hi :)

Make beef/bone broth from scratch
Strain liquid into jars, place in fridge overnight, then place into freezer next morn
Take frozen broth from freezer > fridge, and let it thaw overnight
Use broth to make beef stock (removing layer of fat), with beef, herbs, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, broc, turnip and sw.pot

I know I can jar the broth that is left, and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days and reuse it.

Can I freeze that leftover broth and then thaw and reusue it at a later date?

Thanks in advance.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I'm not a big fan of plastic, I try to avoid it if I can.

You can freeze stock in a glass jar, in fact that's my favorite way to freeze liquid, just use smaller jars and leave some empty space for the expansion. I use 325 ml (11 fl oz) jars and leave about 10% empty to allow for expansion. Never had a problem.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I'm not a big fan of plastic, I try to avoid it if I can.

You can freeze stock in a glass jar, in fact that's my favorite way to freeze liquid, just use smaller jars and leave some empty space for the expansion. I use 325 ml (11 fl oz) jars and leave about 10% empty to allow for expansion. Never had a problem.
Me too. But not just any reused glass jars. Pickle jars = not that good. Spaghetti sauce jars = much better. In addition to the vital headspace it’s a good practice to leave the kids loose until the goods are frozen, then tighten them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom