Freaky Lobster

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eskimo, Aug 21, 2005.

1. eskimo

eskimo

In my 40 years living in Mass and summering in Maine for a good 20 years, I have never seen this before and am wondering if someone could tell me what it was that I saw. I bought a 2lb. for dinner last night at a local seafood place(they sell what they catch) and brought it home, stuck him in the fridge until my water boiled which is what I have done many times before. When the water was boiling, he came out of the fridge and took a nice hot bath for about 20 minutes. When I took him out and started to eat him, I cracked open one of his big claws and noticed something that didn't look like nice white lobster meat. I dug into the meat and there was this red blob (it looked like a cranberry) inside the claw meat. I have never seen this before in my life and I'm wondering what it possibly could be. Anyone ever see this?

2. kerryclan

kerryclan

Perhaps something got stuck in the claw in June when lobsters shed their shell and are in the soft shell stage? I remember hearing about something to that effect. :confused: It would freak me out, but I wouldn't stop eating the lobster, that's for sure!

3. knightdo

knightdo

Lobsters can do kooky things.

Here's one. Couple of years ago I sat down to eat a lobster prepared the same way, cracked it open, and it was full of a black crude oil like substance. Thick raw crude. I should have taken it to the local fish and wildlife but I mistakenly pitched it. Strange.