Francaise style of coating sauteed items?

Joined Oct 12, 1999
Has anybody here use the Francaise style of coating foods? I was taught this method in a couple of the hotels I worked in but it was never mentioned in culinary school or in any of the books I have read. You take whatever meat item your sauteing and season it, dredge it in flour, then dip in a mixture of beaten eggs-chopped parsley-and grated parmesan cheese. Then the item is sauteed in clarified butter and finished to the proper doness in the oven if needed. Works good on all meat items but just make sure to let the excess egg drip off. But I still don't why I haven't heard of it anywhere else besides word of mouth. Any feedback on this would appreciated. Thank You.

------------------

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Larousse describes Francaise-

"A preparation of joints of meat served with asparagus tips, braised lettuce, cauliflower florets coated with hollandaise sauce, and small duchess potatoe nests filled with diced mixed vegetables. The sauce served with dishes a la francaise is a this demi-glace or a clear veal gravy."

That's news to me too, because I always preparred it the way you described it, with an egg batter and parmesean cheese.

------------------
Mike Bersell, CEC
www.unichef.com

Joined Jul 22, 2000
Got my curiosity up so I went into The Escoffier Cookbook.
There was no mention under Francaise but there is a Supremes de Volaille au Parmeasan.

Joined Oct 12, 1999
Yeah that's what I mean. I've seen it as a certain style in books describing about how foods are garnished Francaise style. But still no mention of the method I've been taught in the kitchens I've worked in. Maybe it's a trade secret! He he ha ha!

------------------
Another Day, Another Battle.
Don't Ride A Boat Without A Paddle.
If The Water Is Not Too Deep,
Take A Little Swim But Don't Fall Asleep!

Latest posts

Top Bottom