Found this site, and appears to be a good place to learn a few things..

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by dburg30, Jul 6, 2011.

1. dburg30

dburg30

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Have found a new love for food!!   Little background.  I am 43 years old and have NEVER eaten properly...  I was always a very picky eater.  Didnt like the texture of many items.  I was never made to eat it or go hungry, so I just never did.  Well about 6 months ago, I decided I needed to make some lifestyle changes.   I was obese, borderline t2 diabetes, had no energy etc etc.   Started exercising and eating much better, but still was pretty picky...  Finally I just made myself start trying things.  OMG, what have I done to myself all these years!!!   So.. fast forward 6 months or so.   I've now lost 65 lbs, am about 20 lbs away from the high end of my ideal weight (180) and LOVE LOVE LOVE trying new food, but more importantly, I have found I LOVE cooking.. 

But honestly, all I do now is find a recipe and if it looks good I make it.  Yes, I've tried different seasoning / sauces when I would do chicken or steak etc etc, but I really want to learn how different foods interact.  What works with what etc etc.. So... Here I Am!     I admit I've even thought about looking into some sort of culinary / cooking career change, totally different from what I do now.  Have been struggling along with the economy, so my finances are pretty weak, so dont really know what I'll do.  But I figure, now might be the best time to make a change!

So I'm going to peruse the forums, try to learn some things, assuredly ask stupid questions, or let me rephrase.. miss something on a search and ask a question that everyone that's been around for a while has seen 100 times..  And I promise I'll not ask "What's the best knife"  :)   

2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to Cheftalk - which really is a GREAT website!

The wikis, blogs, articles, reviews and photographs on here are all sources of inspiration and well worth viewing.  The membership comes from around the globe and all levels of culinary skill, from those like you just starting out on their culinary adventures, through enthusiastic amateurs (I'm in that category!) to masterchefs, which makes for interesting topics of conversation.

Feel free to join in on any thread you find interesting, or start your own in the relevant forum.  Please note, though, that the Professional fora are read-only for those of us who are not currently employed in any of the culinary trades.

Congratulations on changing your eating habits and learning how wonderful food really IS!