Found some ramp, wild leeks, at the market....

Joined Nov 15, 2000
I found some ramp at Jungle Jim's. This is the first time I have ever seen this at any market in this area. I could make ramp and potato soup, Saute it and serve with a veloute as an accompaniment to sauteed chicken pieces with artichoke hearts and pearl onions.
But, I recall seeing it in a recipe book years ago as part of a salad. Has anyone worked with this product? Does anyone have a salad recipe using ramp? With the weather getting nice and having continual occurences of sunny days has prompted me to purchase all kinds of produce and to make a different kind of salad every night.Your help is very much appreciated. :confused: :)

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Lorraine~ aren't ramps really really strong, onionnygarlicy flavors? I thought they needed to be cooked....

Joined Nov 15, 2000
shroomgirl,
From all the searches, I understand that ramp is quite pungent,you are right it has a garlic/onion flavor(except for the poisinous ones have no flavor), but becomes quite sweet when boiled. Every reference though states you can eat ramps raw as well as cooked. One site even had a caution about eating too much raw ramps for it will cause stomach distress. Perhaps I can boil the ramps cool it off and add some other ingredients to make a salad.This is one of the first greens of the spring indigenous of Virginia and the Appalachia.
I was really looking for some tried and tested combinations for a salad dish,or just something that sounds good to you.
:)

Joined Aug 11, 2000
OK, I'd saute instead of boiling (this is not tried, so do one and see if it mellows out, if it doesn't then add liquid to the pan after it is softened to braise)

a nice viniagrette with tarragon vinegar, hit of mustard (I like Creole or whole grain)Light oil, maybe a pinch of sweetner(honey or sugar)
green beans blanched
flagolets cooked to tender (optional)
red bell pepper sliced (optional)
snow peas or sugar snaps blanched
...a ramp/bean salad served with alittle bed of green spring lettuce....
This would be a super picnic or BBQ salad

Or just saute and pour a viniagrette over them and serve as a side to Grilled Tuna or Salmon or Flank Steak....
Shrooms would be very appropriate on the plate too....

Depending on their strength a Fritata or Strata would be good too.....if they are really strong that would overpower the eggs.

Joined Nov 15, 2000
Thank you for your suggestions.Shroomgirl, you really have a talent of putting together ingredients in the most appealing way. The tarrogon mustard vinegarette sounds great with the creole mustard and I like the combo of veggies.Red peppers is a nice touch. I am having some salmon tonight and I think the salad sounds great with that. I am going to braise it because cooking with water is supposed to sweeten it. I will report back afterwards. Thanks again. :D

Joined Aug 29, 1999
I find ramps every spring at my local greenmarket. My favorite use for them is sliced thin and scrambled with eggs. The broad leaves can be sliced very thin, then quickly blanched and refreshed. After blanching and refreshing, they can be added to a mixed-green salad; to a traditional salad of wilted greens with bacon fat and vinegar; or just cooked quickly with a bit of butter or bacon fat. I know that they are reputed to cause GI problems, but fortunately I was born with a GI tract that can and does digest everything. Ramps are a wonderful green. If you can get them, by all means try them!null

Top Bottom