Found Chanterelles!!!!!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Jun 27, 2001.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yesterday I went out for chanterelles, first time this year...the season can run through Aug. anyway I found about 1/2 plastic grocery bag full. 2 dz about 3" in diameter most an inch-inch and 1/2....
    What do you do with Chanterelles?

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    ..used them last weekend with goat cheese to stuff phyllo triangles for hors d'oeuvres. Yummm...

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I've got farmers bringing in squash with blossoms and thought a mousse using sauteed chanterelles and goat cheese with tarragon with whipped egg whites folded in would be glorious piped into the blossom and then cooked in alittle oil and butter...ummmmmm
    or tempura....gotta watch the cheese sepage though.

4. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Wow! how lucky you are! I can't find those squash blooms anywhere! (except in people's gardens in Little Italy)

5. kimmie

kimmie

Chanterelles for Shroom. How about

Crispy Polenta Cakes with Wild Mushroom Ragoût

1 cup coarse polenta
    ½ cup Parmigiano Regiano Cheese
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 lb. Chanterelles, or mixed fresh wild mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
    3 cups chicken stock
    ½ cup heavy cream
    2 cups all-purpose flour for dusting polenta
    1 cup olive oil for frying
    Freshly ground pepper
    Salt

Polenta
    Bring 6 cups (48 fl oz) of water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and slowly add the polenta in a shower, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. Change to a wooden spoon and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the spoon stands in the polenta, 15 to 25 minutes. Add the Parmigiano and 2 tablespoons of the butter and mix well.

Season with salt and pepper. Immediately spread the polenta in a buttered 9- x 9-inch pan. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula and refrigerate. Combine the parsley and garlic and chop together until very fine. Reserve.

Mushroom Ragoût
    In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter with the extra-virgin olive oil over high heat. Add the wild mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and the mushroom liquid has evaporated, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and set aside. Add the chicken stock, cream, garlic, and parsley to the pan and simmer to reduce by half, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Score the polenta into six 3 x 4 ½-inch squares. Halve each square diagonally to make 2 triangles. Remove from the pan and toss the polenta triangles carefully in flour to dust them lightly.

Heat ½ inch of olive oil in a large, deep frying pan until the oil sizzles and a tiny piece of polenta turns golden on contact, 375ºF. Add a few of the polenta triangles and cook, turning occasionally, until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels.

To serve, place 2 hot polenta triangles on each plate. Warm the mushroom ragoût and spoon over the polenta.

Serve immediately.

Wine Suggestion
    Chardonnay or Pinot Noir (from California)

;)

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Reads wonderfully, I like to add mascarpone to finish off my polenta.

7. bouland

bouland

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    savage shrooms!!! I love it.
    What most folks don't know is that chanterelles are not cultivated, they all come from the woods!!!
    Yummmmmmmmy, but oh so great when you find them yourself.

9. rjhunt

rjhunt

I love to make chanterelle pizza. Thinly slice chanterelles and saute them in a little butter and olive oil with pancetta and shallots. Use a thin crust pizza, brushed with olive oil, then topped with moz. cheese, gruyere, and p. regianno. Sprinkle with a little of Pensey's pizza seasoning. Add your sauted chanterelles, shallots, and pancetta. Bake in a hot oven on a pizza stone. It is fantastic!

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    guyere goes great with chanterelles...I love the nutty with the apricoty flavor....