Forgotten Wines

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by notyetchef, Dec 15, 2005.

1. notyetchef

notyetchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It seems today some wine drinkers go to their local liquor store, pick up "something white or red" go home put some ice cubes in a glass, pop the cork, and watch TV drinking a bottle of wine and eat potato chips.

While the people who drank their favorite Pino Noir or Reisling for 15 years strait now want something exotic either from the new regions or the very
    old, now forgotten regions of the world.

With this being said does anyone have any favorite wine that they feel is being, or has been overlooked just becaue is is not common enough, not in the public eye enough, or simply forgotten in the vast ocean of vines at our disposal today?

-My pesonal experiance is while thumbing threw Larosse Gastronmonique finding a recipe Malaga (neoplitaine sauce). I am sure the sauce would have been amazing but i decided to drink the wine instead.

2. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I living in one of the most famous wine regions of all of Italy. We have barolo, bararesco, moscato d'asti, just to name a few. It's hard to get a chance to taste all the wines there are out there since I am surrounded by tons of Italain wines, brunello being a favorite.

This past year I have been drinking a lot of Italian wines, makes sense since they are produced here and reasonably priced compared to the prices of Italian wines in the U.S. But I also like ribera, shiraz/syrah etc.. but they are harder to find here. So I guess the best bet is to drink what is available to you and to branch out when you can ie, when you have the time to do the research, the money to dole out and the guts to be possibly disappointed.
    I haven't forgotten my old U.S. favorites, I just can't readily get them.

3. notyetchef

notyetchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I spent a few months in Switerland backpacking, i can definate smypathize with the lack of americain wines. If you have the chance try to get to Dézaley, Valais, Vaud, and Geneva reigions. Aigle les Murailles is an very nice white wine fron the Vaud reigion. I invested in many glasses during my trip.