For those of you in "the Good Cook"...

Joined May 6, 2001
I'm really tempted to join myself and was wondering- do they have a good selection of vegetarian books? TIA:D

Joined Dec 16, 2001
Does this work for Canada as well? I see an option for Canada, but then I canot put in my postal code. AHHHHHH

Kris

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
The offer is valaid in Canada. The prices are, obviously, slightly higher. Still it is worth it many books are cheaper than in the bookstore.

The book club has a lot more books than the one offered on the website, you can also choose from their catalogue. They also often advertise in food magazines.

Joined Apr 30, 2001
Excellent point, Isabelle. I went and checked out the website again and guests can't see all the books they offer. You really want to see one of the catalogs. Svad, if you want, PM me an address and I'll drop the next catalog I get in the mail for you.

N

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Or email the book club and ask them to ship you all the information.

Be careful of one thing, I've seen adds in one magazine where they offer you 3 books for a dollar and in another magazine they offer 4 books.

Joined Apr 30, 2001
Isabelle - why do I never think of the simple solutions? I just have to do things the most complicated way possible!!!

Svad, don't listen to me....run while you still can!

Joined Dec 6, 2001
Just wanted to say I have been in the GoodCook club for about 8 yrs now and very much enjoy it. Do get a catalog, it comes with good offers most months too. I have never been shipped a wrong order, never had an order or payment lost. I love my cookbooks.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
To answer your original question Svad, there are no vegetarian cookbook in the last two catalogues. In November, they offered Madhur Jaffrey’s World Vegetarian, Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone.

Joined Jan 26, 2001
You see, not all of us remember to call to tell them not to send the monthly selection, and I've ended up having to buy a book that I misplaced when I moved. I'm not sure what cookbook it is, but they're all great, so I"m sure it will be exciting when I find it again.

For my free books, though, I got

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

The New Making of a Cook

I can't remember what else, but these are expensive books to get for almost nothing!!

I think the selection is good as well, and they have a lot of new books as they come out.

~~Shimmer~~

Joined Dec 6, 2001
Shimmer, about 5-6yrs ago I got tired of recieving those Monthly selections either by mistake or becuz I didnt mail back that silly card, so I wrote a letter to just cancel my membership and explained to them I liked the club very much, just not the hassle of keeping track of those monthly selections. (I often sent them back and had to pay the postage)

Well, about 2-3months later I got a phone call from their customer service asking me if I would like to rejoin but not have to deal with that Monthly automatic thing. I said OF COURSE! I did so, and now my membership works the opposite, only if I want a book or Monthly Selection do I have to contact them. Its great. I suggest you might try the same :)

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
In Canada, if you want a book you have to write or call to order it. I doubt I would stay a member if I had to fill cards every month.

Joined Nov 29, 2001
I've found Jessica's Biscuit to have a much wider selection than The Good Cook...However, they don't have the bonus point program. :eek: ecookbooks.com

I've been a member of The Good Cook for years and also tired of the selection of the month automatic mailings. (How else would I have ended up with Emeril Lagasse's Every Day's a Party?? His other books, maybe, but that one is pure fluff.) I, having little or no patience, called them and asked if there was any way to get off the automatic selection dealie. They said, "No problem" and now I just order the books I want without having to send/fax/go online and refuse any I don't want. If you've been a member for one year or more, don't hesitate to call them and get yourself off auto-selection delivery.

Joined May 11, 2001
Svadhisthana: Did you join and have you heard anything back from Good Cook? I joined back in November or even earlier and haven't heard a thing since.

Chiffonade: I agree with you. Jessica's Biscuit is great. They have excellent prices. I bought Bread Baker's Apprentice for something like $24 and New Way to Cook for around $20 also. Since I spent more than $40, I was able to choose a free cookbook from a fairly large list. I chose Marion Cunningham's Breakfast Book. I think it is now out-of-print, but it has very good breakfast recipes.

Joined Apr 30, 2001
Jessica's looks really good! Of course, I'm trying not to spend any more money right now.

A small laugh...The Good Cook has just sent me an offer inviting me to come back. Uh, I haven't left. I haven't even fulfilled my membership agreement yet. I guess they just really love me.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Call them Risa. You should have heard from them at this point.

Top Bottom