For the Chili Queen and anyone else

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by cape chef, Jul 27, 2002.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Marmalady,

I was reading in my get well thread that you enjoyed the harissa I made you,and liked seeing the beads of sweat form on your husbands head :)

I though I would share a harissa "sauce" I like to serve with lamb and chicken.

1 cup lamb or chicken broth
    1 teaspoon harissa paste
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoone evoo
    a bit of cumin
    chopped fresh parsley and cilantro.

Just heat everythin together in a sauce pot,mixing well for a moment and drap in over your lamb or chicken,some preserved lemon compliments this sauce as well
    cc

2. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    You rang, CC?! I did a pretty similar sauce with the harissa, only used veggie broth and didn't use the cumin; will have to try that next time!

I love hot and citrus together - here's a chicken with harissa sauce:

Chicken With Orange-Spiced Harissa Sauc

1/4 c harissa sauce
    1/2 c orange juice
    1 tb grated orange peel
    1/4 c cider vinegar
    2 tb vegetable oil
    2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    3 lb chicken

Combine all ingredients except chicken to make a smooth sauce. Thin with orange juice if needed. Separate skin from chicken breast being careful not to cut the skin. Place some of the sauce between breast skin and breast. Cover chicken with the remainder of the sauce and marinate 3-4 hours in the
    refigerator.

Bake chicken in a 350 degree oven for two hours until done basting frequently with sauce. Cover chicken with aluminum foil if chicken browns too soon.

3. nancya

nancya

There is too much to catch up on!!!

What is harrisa?

4. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi, Nancy,

Maybe we could get CC to post his harissa recipe here - hint, hint!

Harissa is a spice paste from Tunisia (I think); very spicy and hot, made from chilies, tomato paste, cumin, garlic and onion. It can either be used as a condiment straight up (like some of the Indian pickles and chutneys), or can be used as in the recipes above, blended with other ingredients.