For Panini

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Jeff, I read this recipe in the New York times and it made me think of you Texas folks.

Recipe: Texas-Style Brisket
ime: 5 hours (plus optional 4 hours' marinating)

1 5- to 6-pound beef brisket with 1/4-inch-thick layer of fat
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
4 oak or mesquite chips or chunks, soaked in water to cover for 1 hour, then drained.

1. Wash brisket and pat dry. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and stir. Rub mixture into brisket on all sides. If you have time, let brisket cure in refrigerator for 4 hours.

2. Place brisket, fat side up, in an aluminum foil pan (keeps meat from drying out on a home grill). Set up grill for indirect grilling. If using a gas grill, place all wood chips in smoker box or in a smoker pouch and heat on high until you see smoke. Then reduce heat to 300 degrees and place brisket on hot grate away from heat. If using a charcoal grill, toss 1 cup wood chips on coals. Place brisket in center of hot grate, away from heat, and cover grill.

3. Grill brisket until tender, 5 to 6 hours. If using a charcoal grill, add fresh coals and chips every hour. (You don't need to add chips after 3 hours.) If meat starts to dry out, wrap in foil and continue cooking. Final internal temperature should be 190 degrees.

4. Transfer brisket to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice across grain. Pour any pan juices over brisket.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Now, What type of beer to serve with this:beer:

Joined Jul 28, 2001
CC,
This is basically how we would grill smoke our meats.The only problem I see with this recipe is this technique requires 1 Shiner Bock every hour until done. The other thing I see is that there is no moisture. We always have a catchpan for the drippings filled with a mixture of h2o,beer,worst,seasonings etc. The meats really need to be on a rack to get a good even red color smokering.
Actually this is a bit of a sin to use your grill for this. Grills are for grillin and the barrel is for smokin.
If you are going to try this recipe, I would use a pork butt, and after 4 hrs wrap it and cook for another 2-3 hours or untill the meat falls of the bone.
And remember to use chunks for they will turn into a heat source reducing the need for more charcol. I soak them in plain h2o, some like to flavor the water but I choose my wood for the flavor.
I can't wait to have ya'll down here. I'm real proud of my meats but they don't even hold water to some here.
Thanks for thinking of me, I hope your up and around soon. Did Momo give you something from me? BTW the barkeep did rinse the lemons.
Jeff

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Only one shiner bock and hour?!?! what a sin;)

Thanks for your tips,I saw this recipe in the times today and wanted to throw it out to you,I do have a barrel smoker I use for my hot smoking,I have a friend who uses an old gutted refridgerator to smoke with,crazy to see this big fridge by the keg with smoke coming out of it (or is that the percacet?)

A couple years ago a friend of mines brother came out from texas and we all did smoke brisket and domestic pork ribs,8 hours in the smoker for the brisket,to this day I never had so much sticky fun,we all made our own bbq sauces,I was in charge of the mopping.Lounge chair,cold brew in hand and mopped every 45 minutes.

I look forward to maning the smoker with you someday,i'm sure it will be a blast.
btw,i'm glad the barkeep rinsed your lemon
Have a nice evening
cc

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I bbqed a whole brisket a few weeks back. I did it in a Weber bbq, it took @ 5-6 hours and it turned out good. I coated with a rub made out of blackening spice that I make. After it was off the grill, I sliced it very thin and simmered it in a little bbq sauce and served it on crusty bread. It was a "dripping off your elbows" experience. The chilled brisket reminded me a little of a not-very-salty beef bacon.

Top Bottom