For Panini

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by cape chef, Jul 24, 2002.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Jeff, I read this recipe in the New York times and it made me think of you Texas folks.

Recipe: Texas-Style Brisket
    ime: 5 hours (plus optional 4 hours' marinating)

1 5- to 6-pound beef brisket with 1/4-inch-thick layer of fat
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
    4 oak or mesquite chips or chunks, soaked in water to cover for 1 hour, then drained.

1. Wash brisket and pat dry. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and stir. Rub mixture into brisket on all sides. If you have time, let brisket cure in refrigerator for 4 hours.

2. Place brisket, fat side up, in an aluminum foil pan (keeps meat from drying out on a home grill). Set up grill for indirect grilling. If using a gas grill, place all wood chips in smoker box or in a smoker pouch and heat on high until you see smoke. Then reduce heat to 300 degrees and place brisket on hot grate away from heat. If using a charcoal grill, toss 1 cup wood chips on coals. Place brisket in center of hot grate, away from heat, and cover grill.

3. Grill brisket until tender, 5 to 6 hours. If using a charcoal grill, add fresh coals and chips every hour. (You don't need to add chips after 3 hours.) If meat starts to dry out, wrap in foil and continue cooking. Final internal temperature should be 190 degrees.

4. Transfer brisket to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice across grain. Pour any pan juices over brisket.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Now, What type of beer to serve with this:beer:

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    CC,
    This is basically how we would grill smoke our meats.The only problem I see with this recipe is this technique requires 1 Shiner Bock every hour until done. The other thing I see is that there is no moisture. We always have a catchpan for the drippings filled with a mixture of h2o,beer,worst,seasonings etc. The meats really need to be on a rack to get a good even red color smokering.
    Actually this is a bit of a sin to use your grill for this. Grills are for grillin and the barrel is for smokin.
    If you are going to try this recipe, I would use a pork butt, and after 4 hrs wrap it and cook for another 2-3 hours or untill the meat falls of the bone.
    And remember to use chunks for they will turn into a heat source reducing the need for more charcol. I soak them in plain h2o, some like to flavor the water but I choose my wood for the flavor.
    I can't wait to have ya'll down here. I'm real proud of my meats but they don't even hold water to some here.
    Thanks for thinking of me, I hope your up and around soon. Did Momo give you something from me? BTW the barkeep did rinse the lemons.
    Jeff

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Only one shiner bock and hour?!?! what a sin;)

Thanks for your tips,I saw this recipe in the times today and wanted to throw it out to you,I do have a barrel smoker I use for my hot smoking,I have a friend who uses an old gutted refridgerator to smoke with,crazy to see this big fridge by the keg with smoke coming out of it (or is that the percacet?)

A couple years ago a friend of mines brother came out from texas and we all did smoke brisket and domestic pork ribs,8 hours in the smoker for the brisket,to this day I never had so much sticky fun,we all made our own bbq sauces,I was in charge of the mopping.Lounge chair,cold brew in hand and mopped every 45 minutes.

I look forward to maning the smoker with you someday,i'm sure it will be a blast.
    btw,i'm glad the barkeep rinsed your lemon
    Have a nice evening
    cc

4. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I bbqed a whole brisket a few weeks back. I did it in a Weber bbq, it took @ 5-6 hours and it turned out good. I coated with a rub made out of blackening spice that I make. After it was off the grill, I sliced it very thin and simmered it in a little bbq sauce and served it on crusty bread. It was a "dripping off your elbows" experience. The chilled brisket reminded me a little of a not-very-salty beef bacon.