For Moxiefan. A little about Feta

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Feta cheese is ofcourse considered the best of the Greek cheeses, It is also produced in other countries. Denmark,America and Australia for example.The home region of Feta includes Bulgaria as well as Greece. I may get in trouble for this but, Many people feel that the Bularian ewe's milk feta is the best of all.
Feta is traditionlly made of sheeps milk, or sheep and goats milk mixed. Often now cows milk is used (To light for my taste) It's made in large blocks which are salted, sliced and salted agian, and packed in containers in which the cheese matures for about a month in the salty whey. The taste is sharp and ofcourse salty. "Teleme" (SP) is made in many balkin countries is very similar to feta.

I do nut rinse feta, I will blend it with a little mascarpone or brie Etc to cut the edge. But normally I use it as it is.

Maybe some recipes would be nice
Any thoughts?

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Feta is a product of Greece.

The one of Denmark etc are plaster and not Feta :)

I am not phanatic now but according to the EU legislation Greece is the only European country that is funded to make cheese from fresh milk of ewes.
Our feta is made of ewe's milk otherwise we will be in big trouble with the EU

The other countries are making Feta from powder milk, including Bulgaria which hasn't any legislation that forbids the use of powder milk in making cheese.

Big difference I guess Right?

But! The oxymoron! You can buy the best Feta in NYC and not in Greece

Recipes?
Thousands! Let me thing about it first.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
The Peloponnesos is the main producer of barrel-aged feta in Greece. according to a book I am reading the family of langas is the best. There are around 800 feta houses still in Greece, But that is really not a lot, They are a dying breead because they are being choked more and more by the European union regulations.
In Greece the production season is from December to mid June. langas's 250 annual tons of feta are hand made by a wiry,unshaven cheese master named Gerasimos Theodoratos. His over 50 years expereiance is worth more than any single piece of machinary. Theodortaos learned his craft from his father and grandfather on his native island of Cephalonia, which is were most of greeces old time empircally trained fetameisters come from.

Whenever you buy something for your home table or proffesinal kitchen, try to remember Gerasimos and all the thousands of farmers and crafters in the world.
cc

Joined Jul 24, 2001
I think I have a recipe for home made feta...

I will search and let you know.

Greeks need a lot of regulations in order to function properly. EU pays Greece to keep making cheese the old way.This is one of the mottos of Slow Food -Greek Section

The old way means not much quantity. I belong to those , in this country that have fought to imply the EU regulations.
Of course this product is very expensive, that's why the best of it goes directly to NYC

:)

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Athenaues, I'm so happy you got involved with this thread. That was my hope when I posted. I look forward very much to learn your insights and studies of Feta.
Also, Please share your home made recipe
Thanks
cc

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Apparently we will only be able to make plaster. You will need to ship us some of that yak juice.No? Don't we have these ewe's here? Athenaeus, can you post a picture of one of these things. I don't want to go out to one of these exotic ranchs here in Texas and start milking the wrong yak.
I will not eat any type of salad if I can't crumble some feta on it.
1 more question. I purchase the so called top shelf from the importer here. I love the bite, the aftertaste is somewhat haylike, I classify it just right of a good goat cheese. Am I getting good feta?:lips:

Joined May 26, 2001
At a place where I used to work, we would buy the Bulgarian stuff in 35# cans (in brine). It was so salty it burned your skin when you tried to take out a chunk! But it was very creamy and tasty. I thought maybe it was cheaper, for all the salt brine. It was better? Oh.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Panini

I think that you are the only person in this forum that cannot upset me:)

How should I know about the taste of the feta in Texas? You must invite me to taste it :)

Joined Jan 26, 2002
Greek Feta and Greek flesh in general are tasty because Greece is surrounded by the most salty part of mediteranean. The salty air affects everything.
This is the difference between the Greek feta and the rest.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
You have an open invitation Athenaeus,BTW my son informs me if we go to Europe this summer he would like to visit Greece.:p

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Panini Jr is very wise :) He will love Greece.

But in order to avoid lectures to poor waiters in Greek tavernas about the superiority of Texan Feta, bring a smal barrel of yours with you :D :D :D

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Yea, I can see us now being detained. The federalies trying to figure the explosive nature of this smelly stuff. Maybe I can hide some in my sneakers?

Latest posts

Top Bottom