For Isa...............

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by svadhisthana, Oct 1, 2002.

1. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

The what are you addicted to thread reminded me that I never posted this scone recipe for you. Here goes:

Multi-Grain Scones

1 egg
    1/2 cup sugar
    5 Tablespoons grapeseed or expeller pressed canola oil (I used evoo)
    1/8 tsp lemon zest
    1/2 cup oatmeal, not instant
    1/4 cup wheat bran
    1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
    2 Tablespoons millet
    2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup milk

Zesty Lemon Topping
    3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 cup confectioners sugar

Pre heat oven to 375

Wisk the egg, sugar, and oil together in a bowl. Mix the lemon zest and all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and stir with a wooden spoon unitl all of the are dispersed evenly throughout. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg, sugar and oil mix to create a thick dough. (mine was more of a thick batter ) Add the milk and mix well.

Lightly grease a baking pan. Scoop up Tablespoonfuls of the dough and drop them one by one in mopunds onto the baking pan, leaving two inches of space between. You should have ten scones. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, just unitl the crust is barely golden brown and the dough is dry. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

With a fork mix the lemon topping * ingredients until the sugar is completely melded in. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon over each scone.

* I like my scones naked so I skipped the topping.

The recipe text states a yeild of ten however, the yeild listed in the nutrition info is 6 scones. I think I ended up with eight or nine.

Per serving: (based on 6)
    Calories: 375.3
    Fat: 10.7 g
    Sat. Fat: 1.5g
    Protein: 8.6g
    Carbs. : 62 g
    Cholesterol: 23 MG
    Fiber: 5.2 g

I found these heavier and more filling than "the best recipe" scones. Yummy but, the best recipe is still my favorite.

The next on my list to try are the Dried Pear and Cardamom Scones from this months Cooking Light. I just need to find dried pears. Will report back with review.

2. isa

isa

Thank you for the recipe Svad.

Can't wait to try them. I'll let you know how they turn out.

You can find dried pears in natural food stores or stores where they carried candied and dried fruits. Pear scones sounds heavenly, imagine with just a bit of candied ginger....

3. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

I checked the health food store here in town. The only thing I found was a bag of mixed dried fruits so I bought two and I'll pick out the pears. ;) Will make the scones tomorrow.

4. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Isa, why do you like scones so much ? :)

5. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Dried Pear and Cardamom Scones

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground cardamom
    3 Tablespoons butter
    10 Tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
    1 tsp grated lemon rind
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped, dried pears
    2 tsp all purpose flour
    Cooking Spray
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten

1. Pre-heat oven to 350
    2. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cardamom in a large bowl; cut in butter with pasty blender or two knives until mixture resembels coarse meal.
    3. Combine buttermilk, rind, vanilla, and egg in a medium bowl; stir in dried pears. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just moist.
    4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Dust top with 2 teaspoons all purpose flour, and pat into an 8 inch cirlce. Cut dough into 8 wedges; arrange wedges 1/2 inch apart on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush egg white over wedges. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Yeild 8 servings.

Calories 228
    Fat 5.7g
    Protein 5.7g
    Carb 39.5g
    Fiber 2.6g
    Chol 39 mg
    Iron 1.8 mg
    Sodium 349 mg
    Calc 105 mg

*notes* I was half asleep when I made these so I managed to add the wet to the dry before incorporating the butter. I was still able to salvage them. I did not add the lemon rind and I probably went a little heavy on vanilla. I added chopped candied ginger on the tops and I also skipped the egg white wash. They were deee-lightful, heavenly with a warm cup of chai. I will make them again.

6. isa

isa

I'm already having vision, dried pear and ginger scones. I can almost smell them. :lips:

Thanks Svad!

It small, warm and smell of ginger. What's not to like?

The first time I made scones it was to give to my British step mother as a birthday present. I never had a scone before then and just enjoyed the airy texture and wonderful taste.

Don't you have phase where you always eat the same thing in the morning? I have muffins, scones, waffles and cinnamon toast phases. I like variety for breakfast.