for a class

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by juuichi11, Jan 16, 2011.

1. juuichi11

juuichi11

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    hello! i am currently stuck on a dish. 

so for class i have to make a chicken dish with herb jus, celery puree, lemon confit, and brussel sprouts. 

i have some idea i want to tweak but i just don't know what to do to make them all fit together and better

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Because you are a student I will refrain from helping you as will most of the other forum users here. How else will you learn if not by doing it yourself. No offense...

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Funny thing is, if you put "roast" or "broiled" or "pan-fried" in front of "chicken" you'd have described the finished dish---except I'm not quite sure what lemon confit is.

4. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    should be sliced lemons in a sugar and oil mixture that have been done like a duck confit. It's an old technique for fruit preservation as long as it's stored in a cool dark place they should last about 3-4 months that way. You can drain and use the lemons for stuffing, sauces, marinades, salad dressing....just would'nt use them for lemonade anymore.

5. juuichi11

juuichi11

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Lol well so far i tried at home a pineapple sauce, and instead of a celery root puree i was thinking carrot puree with a parsnip chip. Also saute the brussel sprout with some almond. i think the colors will go well together and the taste. what do u think/?

6. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Juuichi, one hint already; sprouts and chicken don't match! Sprouts + pineapple and chicken even less!

Strangely you already dumped the two things that would actually match; celery puree and lemon, but not combined.

Let me help you just a little; think maybe tajine, lemon, black olives, lots of garlic, tarragon... and not necessarely all of these elements.

Correction, you dumped 3 good matches; where has the herb jus gone all the sudden?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Juuchi, don't take my previous post too literally. When I mention "tajine", I mean cooking and presenting it as something that has been made in a tajine-style. Look at this link to a chickendish that I recieved this morning; http://www.sensum.be/nl/home/article/1023

(Don't try to switch this page to english, it's not translated!). It's called "chicken and salsify".

That's a good example of tajine-style cooking and presentation, although it hasn't been made in a tajine (=Maroccan conical stone cookingpot).

Very modern, nice combo's.  You can esily make a dish like that with your earlier mentioned ingredients; herbjus, chicken, celery(chunks not puree), lemon... and maybe some other things.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  8. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think I'm missing something here. Is the assignment to replicate the dish you described, or create a derivation? What you're talking about in your subsequent post isn't tweaking, it's changing the whole dish; the chicken is the only commonality. What exactly are the expectations for this assignment?

9. juuichi11

juuichi11

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    The problem with the sprout is, that is needed in the dish, and i took the herb jus because my chef wants to make an herb rub instead under the chicken skin. lol

10. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    maybe make a sprout salad by removing all the individual leaves and blanching them?

11. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Two comments.

First, I'm with Tyler on this one; totally confused. I thought it was an assignment using those ingredients.

Second: If you should follow ChrisBelgium's idea, I would consider celeraic in the tagine, rather than hunks of celery. Keep in mind, too, that one hallmark of a good tagine is the broth. So use lots of the jus.

Actually, three comments. Regarding this: because my chef wants to make an herb rub instead under the chicken skin.

As you pursue both your culinary education and, later, once out in the field, remember this advice: If Chef tells you to do one thing, and God tells you to do another, you better pray that God is forgiving.

12. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Really old joke: "What is the difference between a chef and God?"

Stay tuned....

13. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Still waiting on clarification here. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    YOUR CHEF INSTRUCTOR PROBABLY WENT OVER ALL OF THIS AND THE TECHNIQUES AND TOLD YOU WHERE TO FIND IT. WERE YOU LISTENING?

15. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "God never thought s/he was a chef!"

16. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Pete I had also heard this as "God made 1 or 2 mistakes""