Foods good for liver functioning?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by tollhousegoddess, Sep 1, 2001.

1. tollhousegoddess

tollhousegoddess

Anyone know what foods are good for encouraging good liver functioning?

2. compassrose

compassrose

Dandelions (greens and root) and burdock root are two that spring to mind off the top of my head.

3. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Broccoli is good, unless you have a problem with vitamin K. broccoli also has calcium in it.

4. isa

isa

From Food That Harm Food That Heal

Eat Plenty Of:

Fish, dark green vegetables, beans and vegetables oils for omega-3 fatty acids.

Fresh fruits and vegetables for vitamins and and minerals.

Small meals and snacks, if they are more appealing than large meals.

Protein from plant sources, such as a combinaison of legumes and grains (but keep overall protein intake low).

Cut Down On:

Proteins from animal sources.

Avoid:

Alcohol in all forms.

Saturated fats.

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Iza ]

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm a little uncertain about this one but do think that Hawthorne Berry aids with liver function. It aids in circulation.

Consuming excess protein taxes the liver.

Dandelions (aka Lion's Tooth and Piss In Bed: pis en lit) aids in excretion due to its high salt content. ;)

6. pastachef

pastachef

Plain old laughter is good for health all over, and Koko, you just had me falling over the keyboard with the giggles!

7. ziggy

ziggy

Sadly my husband has cirrohsis of the liver caused by a rare condition called Wilson's Disease(inability to metabolize copper which then reaches toxic levels and damages the liver and/or the nervous system).

He has been taking Milk Thistle for over 4 years now. He has gone from being high priority on a transplant list to being "inactive" on the list due to such an improvement in his liver function. Though doctors will not formally admit the Milk Thistle is helping(being a natural herb) all of his doctors do privately concede it is helping a great deal.

Dandelion and licorice are also good for liver function.

Fatty foods should be avoided. Protein in moderation(1 gram of protein per kilo of bodyweight) and in lean forms(we get ours in the form of fish). The liver is regenerative and protein helps with tissue repair so it is not indicated to cut protein completely. Generally protein is only restricted with severe liver damage and once improvement is shown protein levels are increased.

Carbohydrates help in providing an adequate reserve of glycogen. Many doctors recommend the largest amount of daily calories come from carbohydrates for patients with liver disease.

Watch sodium intake - concern for blood pressure - particularly if varices are present. Sodium also needs to monitered very carefully if ascites is present.

Of course, alcohol should be completely avoided.

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Do get yourself a copy of the book entitled THE SCIENTIFIC VALIDATION OF HERBAL MEDICINE which costs about $15-$20. All of its recommendations have been scientifically investigated.:)

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Part of the philosophy in the Scientific Validation... book is that herbs obviously come from the earth and therefore contain a "natural balance and amounts" (words my own) of substances and minerals. Therefore they might be more beneficial to the body than medicine IN SOME CASES, - their effects being more subtle as opposed to blockbuster.

Do refer to some of the latest texts on nutrition. I say "latest" because in about a year or two they become obsolete.