Foods and Resolutions

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Happy New Year! Let's hope our new year is filled with joy and good health!

Do foods make it into your resolutions? I know a lot of people set out to diet in the new year, I don't but I do have hopes and goals for the new year and some of those involve food. Here are some of my foodie resolutions for the year.

- Make more dishes from Ottolenghi's books. I have 4 of his books, Jerusalem, Plenty, Plenty More, and my newest addition, Sweet. I really don't use these books enough and they are exquisite.

- Make pasta. Can you believe I have never made fresh pasta? What's wrong with me!? I need to just get on with it.

- Bake a pavlova. Or at least make meringue. It has been on my to-do list for years and I never get around to doing it. I need to do more baking in general so that when I have to bake at the holidays I'm not so flustered by it.

- Start a foodie blog. I've always kind of wanted to start a foodie/lifestyle blog but worry that it will take up too much time that I don't have.

- Organize my recipes. Right now they are jotted on little papers and stuffed into a binder willy nilly. I learned recently that bookmarking web pages is completely unreliable. First my computer got a virus and wiped my whole system including all my bookmarks, and secondly, one of my favorite bloggers went totally off line taking down her site, youtube channel, and instagram account. And that's how our favorite new year's cake recipe vanished. How could she do this to me?

- Buy a really good knife. I think mine are cuisinart.

- Plan ahead better and use ingredients more efficiently. Sometimes when we get busy things don't get used the way they should. For example, I'll buy dill for a dish and then not use the rest of it.

- Make a dinner idea list and keep it handy. I swear most nights I'm out of ideas on what to cook and end up making the same stuff over and over again. Lame.

Joined Apr 25, 2017

- Plan ahead better and use ingredients more efficiently. Sometimes when we get busy things don't get used the way they should. For example, I'll buy dill for a dish and then not use the rest of it.

- Make a dinner idea list and keep it handy. I swear most nights I'm out of ideas on what to cook and end up making the same stuff over and over again. Lame.

Happy New Year back to you!

I know what you mean - sometimes deciding what to have for dinner can take longer then preparing it! Those last two can work together to help. As an example - we bought fresh dill this week for pickles, there was leftover so that led to a discussion about what to make with it - we decided on tzatziki, so now we have a meal plan for one night (kabobs and pita) and a lunch (leftovers made into a salad).

Mine is to be better about practice runs before an event. So far so good: we made trial mini almond galettes yesterday. The real run will be for the the 6th. I am glad we did the trial - I like the flavor and the final product, and learned that they will need to be cut on all four sides instead of folded over like I did this time.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Food resolutions are the only ones I seem to be capable of keeping!

This year: pasta and pie. I enjoy making pasta but with an active family I end up using dried for the speed and convenience. This year planning on lighter sauces so fresh pasta will be beneficial. I’m hoping to do stuffed pasta. Pie is the one baked item that intimidates me. Crust generally works out but I’d like to build some “crust confidence” so I don’t worry so much. Started that plan today - tortiere, French Canadian Pork Pie. Yummy it was.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Food resolutions are the only ones I seem to be capable of keeping!

This year: pasta and pie. I enjoy making pasta but with an active family I end up using dried for the speed and convenience. This year planning on lighter sauces so fresh pasta will be beneficial. I’m hoping to do stuffed pasta. Pie is the one baked item that intimidates me. Crust generally works out but I’d like to build some “crust confidence” so I don’t worry so much. Started that plan today - tortiere, French Canadian Pork Pie. Yummy it was.

I plan on making stuffed pasta too. I don't particularly like fresh long pasta like linguini or spaghetti. I prefer those dried.

Pie! I did cross that off a previous food resolution and now I have gotten crust confident. I did it by experimenting with different recipes/methods and when I found the one that worked I stuck to it and pinned it inside my cupboard. Also, use just a teensy bit more water than you think you should. I was leaving my pastry too dry and then boldened up.

Happy New Year back to you!

I know what you mean - sometimes deciding what to have for dinner can take longer then preparing it! Those last two can work together to help. As an example - we bought fresh dill this week for pickles, there was leftover so that led to a discussion about what to make with it - we decided on tzatziki, so now we have a meal plan for one night (kabobs and pita) and a lunch (leftovers made into a salad).

Thanks for the tip, I know that's how it should work but sometimes I don't follow through. I can make the plan, but can't always stick to it.

Joined Nov 14, 2017

Do foods make it into your resolutions? I know a lot of people set out to diet in the new year, I don't but I do have hopes and goals for the new year and some of those involve food. Here are some of my foodie resolutions for the year.

- Make more dishes from Ottolenghi's books. I have 4 of his books, Jerusalem, Plenty, Plenty More, and my newest addition, Sweet. I really don't use these books enough and they are exquisite.

- Make pasta. Can you believe I have never made fresh pasta? What's wrong with me!? I need to just get on with it.

- Bake a pavlova. Or at least make meringue. It has been on my to-do list for years and I never get around to doing it. I need to do more baking in general so that when I have to bake at the holidays I'm not so flustered by it.

- Start a foodie blog. I've always kind of wanted to start a foodie/lifestyle blog but worry that it will take up too much time that I don't have.

- Organize my recipes. Right now they are jotted on little papers and stuffed into a binder willy nilly. I learned recently that bookmarking web pages is completely unreliable. First my computer got a virus and wiped my whole system including all my bookmarks, and secondly, one of my favorite bloggers went totally off line taking down her site, youtube channel, and instagram account. And that's how our favorite new year's cake recipe vanished. How could she do this to me?

- Buy a really good knife. I think mine are cuisinart.

I don't believe in making resolutions. As for starting that blog, go for it if you really want to do it. I find running a food blog and other blogs time-consuming but worth it.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I don't believe in making resolutions. As for starting that blog, go for it if you really want to do it. I find running a food blog and other blogs time-consuming but worth it.

Making resolutions can be cliche and it often puts too much pressure all at once to make something happen. Therefore, most people fail at their resolutions. I feel that way about dieting, what a hoax! On the other hand, goals and aspirations are the single most important factors in creating change and making our lives better. The second most important thing is to make a plan and write it down. I haven’t always kept my reye solutions but once I structured how to achieve them I’ve achieved them ever since for the most part.

That said, I do want to run a blog but I may wait until my son is a little older. I’m too busy wth work as it is and though it is a dream, I’ve got to prioritize.

Joined Jun 6, 2017
I didn't thought of having food resolutions... that NYR thing is not a popular rite here in south america, but I think each and everyone of the ones you mentioned could apply to me :p except for the pasta one, I always make pasta, but I guess I can just try to improve it! :D

Well, actually my most important goal for this year is food related, I'm starting culinary school in March!

I also want to keep cooking at home, improve my photography skills and generate more and more content for my instagram and my new FB fanpage, with the mid term goal of make a name for myself locally.

Also I would like to start working at least a couple days at a restaurant just to gain some hands on experience on professional cooking.

Make at least one or two dinner parties each month to try out new recipes and have my friends tasting :)

Lastly, another goal for this '18 could be making a couple more dinners and get paid for it, like I did this past year for a friend's birthday and was one of the greatest experiences I had :)

Looks like I suddenly have a lot to do this year and it's already passing by! GET TO WORK! JUST DO IT! :)

PS: I love the idea of the blog too, don't know if make a stand alone one or produce content for a FB fanpage, but would love to explore recipes, techniques, get to know other cooks, local producers and such... I guess the most difficult part is to get going when you don't have much followers and you feel you write for no one... :(

Joined Dec 28, 2017
I don't know how things are in your area, but look into getting a stage in a big hotel. You'll see a lot of equipment your average restaurant doesn't have, a bigger brigade with defined roles, probably a better chef and it is a much safer bet as a lot of small restaurants tend to be hit or miss.

Best of luck!

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Timely thread koukouvagia!

I like your dinner idea list lots, and while I have 4 overflowing loose-leaf notebooks full of recipes, the sheets are thrown in haphazardly. I have two books of desserts, one of dinner items, one of appetizers and drinks.

My resolutions are to cook with/use less sugar
Make dinner list (Just added; thanks.)
Use less sugar
Pair foods. (My dinner components don't coordinate; why I need list.)
Make fresh pasta
Use less sugar
Organize my notebooks (Half serious on this one. After all, the notebooks did not even exist until last year.)
Use less sugar
Master pie crust
And, use less sugar.

Big 2018 New Year hugs to all!

Joined Nov 28, 2017

I have been blessed by NOT having food 'resolutions'! For those who get $ucked into diet mentality know one thing - Dieting causes weight gain! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udvXZY5awGM

That said, being as happily selective of whatever it is that YOU want to eat could be the only 'resolution' that I could ever make. I tend to enjoy fresh ingredients made as simply as possible, making use of 'variety' as my watch word for foods selected. My dear hubby is not the most adventurous of people when it comes to new tastes so I keep that in mind when I want to give something new a try. I am honored to be a part of this forum where I can find out new and how-to directions for any food that I want to explore and experiment with.

May 2018 be a year that all of us remembers with great affection and tastes too :)

Joined Jun 6, 2017
I don't know how things are in your area, but look into getting a stage in a big hotel. You'll see a lot of equipment your average restaurant doesn't have, a bigger brigade with defined roles, probably a better chef and it is a much safer bet as a lot of small restaurants tend to be hit or miss.

Best of luck!

Yup, part of the plan is to check out for those opportunities once I started the course since I'm gonna be attending the most popular school here and they have some cool arrangements with hotel chains, restaurants, event presence and such... I'll be on the hunt for cool opportunities!

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I have been blessed by NOT having food 'resolutions'! For those who get $ucked into diet mentality know one thing - Dieting causes weight gain! :)
Amen sister, intuitive and mindful eating all the way for me. I resolved a few years ago to do away with food morals and the gazillion dollar diet industry.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Oh another thing that helps me keep my resolutions is that by writing them down I can look back and witness the success I had. It’s empowering to know that I can set a goal and achieve it. For example I just looked back and saw that one of my resolutions last year was to make my bed everyday and be more tidy. I did in fact put into place a plan, a structured plan of reminders, visible to do lists, started scheduling these things into my bullet journal (an invaluable past resolution of its own) and made it happen. Because I strategized I made it happen and I kid you not my lifelong habit of not making my bed has become an automatic part of my day that I put zero effort into anymore. It just gets done. #patontheback

Joined Feb 8, 2009
First of all Happy New years Koukougvagia. I agree with you about making a resolution. When I started my company I had a hard time organizing my time and getting things done in a proper amount of time. I started setting up my day the night before. I listed everything I wanted to get done and the time frame I waned it to be accomplished. If I didn't write it down, something would always prevent me from accomplishing anything except what was going on at the time. I think making a list and reading it daily would help you accomplish your resolutions. I bet by March most of us would forget what the heck our resolutions even were. I think most of us follow the path of least resistance. With all resolutions/goals we need to set a different path to follow and to accomplish it. By writing them down it will help us change our daily routine and help us accomplish our goals.
I'm going to venture out also. I'm trying to start looking at life on how I would live it if I wasn't born in a " follow the path of society" world. We are all born and told what to do for the first 18 years of life until we graduate from High School. We then go to College or work for the next 50 years. My Goal this year is to find and live in a town that cares about people more than things. In most cases these places are hard to find because of the lack of good paying jobs. I go to NYC once or twice a year and watch a few million people on the streets walking in every direction with not one person knowing anyone else. Every corner is packed with people. Every street is packed with people going both ways to get to where they're going. When making any kind of resolution make sure the people in your life come before anything. While working in the restaurant business for all of my career it was hard putting my family in the mix. I have much to learn but am thankful I have all that I need and could ever want. One of my goals is to do some clay sculpturing, Cooking fresh, simple and healthy, like catching a fish and smoking on a wood fire on the beach. Life doesn't have to be a chore so I plan not to make it one........The best to all.........ChefBillyB
P.S. I learned a lot my taking my Granddaughter to Comic-con in NYC in October. I watched thousands all people of all ages get along. Every person was talking to people who they didn't know. People asked to sit with us in the cafe and started conversations. It was all about all these people having something in common with each other. I asked my GD if she had a fun day. Her answer was yes, I was able to be myself, it was nice.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I'll have to think about this some more. Like one of you said, food resolutions are about the only ones I ever keep.
1. For a start, I'd like to get better at pie crust. I can do it but not as well or easily as I'd like.
2. Organize my fermentation production to include a variety of sauerkrauts and fruit liqueurs and expand in to wine making.
3. Keep my knives sharper and my kitchen more organized.
4. Visit an East coast fishing town.
5. Finally get around to making Sole soufflee Germaine from the Roux Brothers cookbook, New Classic Cuisine. Bought the book over twenty years ago. Recently found a local fishmonger who can get in the whole fish.
6. Visit Montreal/Quebec and the upper Great Lakes for all the regional foods.
7. Win a monthly challenge on ChefTalk.
That's probably enough for a year.

Top Bottom