Food Words and Expressions I Don't Like Because I'm Old and Cranky

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by boar_d_laze, Nov 13, 2010.

1. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Venting.

Words:

Let me just get the ball rolling with two which I dislike for the same reason:

(1) Veggie

(2) Yummy

Maybe it's my inner (and/or outer) aging curmodgeon, but I am not a child and you are not my mommy. 

Phrases and Cliches:

Here are three, just for starters:

(1) A little...

You hear this on TV cooking shows.  "A little" has become the food equivalent of the teenager's "like."  If asked what's in your pesto just say "basil, salt, olive oil, parmesan, pine nuts and garlic."  You don't have to be all like "a little basil," and "a little garlic."  It's awkward, hackneyed, and has become meaningless.  

(2) ...meltingly tender

Food reviewers killed this one.  Makes me homicidal. 

(3) Adds (or just for, or...) ...a little crunch

I'm not sure which Food Network personality is the biggest offender -- not only with "crunch" but in combination with "a little."  It's either Michael Symon or Sandra Lee.  It further irritates me to use their names in the same sentence.   

And you?  Which shibboleths get your teeth grating?

BDL

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
    katbalou likes this.
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I like the word vegie.

I used to be bothered by the word "with" in menu/dish names. I've gotten over this one mostly. It's too much like a run-on sentence and muddles up the description with what should be the focus of the item.   Give me some verbs. Accented, glazed, accompanied, paired.    With is too much like costar billing.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  3. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    With au jus.

Zesty.

4. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    "Melts in your mouth" when talking about meat. Meat doesn't melt. An adjective with every noun in a description on a menu; for example: "Beautiful seared scallops with creamy polenta, earthy mushrooms, topped with a decadent bearnaise sauce". Speaking of which, I hate the word "decadent". I don't like when things include a "touch" of anything, or if they are "kissed" with anything.

5. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Evoo.  Need I say more?

6. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Can we just say anything that comes out of the mouth of Rachel Ray?

EVOO, yum-o, DE-lish

torycarriere and indygal like this.
  7. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Except, according to the folks at Merriam Webster, EVOO is now officially a word.

Ugh!

8. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Merriam Webster also claim that "crunk" and "BFF" are valid words. They have lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned.

9. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I don't think I've ever heard the word "crunk." What's it mean?

10. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    According to Merriam Webster - crunk: : a style of Southern rap music featuring repetitive chants and rapid dance rhythms

11. "Your ah...a bit moody, and difficult to work with"

"Your food cost at 47%, You have to go through the walk in and look at everything, use what is old 1st."

"they are outside smoking, (food under heat lamps) pick up table 64 first."

12. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    one truly annoying thing  and i'm neither old or cranky, is when a restaurant states on the menu, they have the 'BEST' whatever....burger, green chile chowder, pizza,water, etc...isn't that for me to decide?...whose 'BEST, theirs? the guy down the street? what if i don't agree..then their promise just becomes another lie ...think i'd rather pay my money and take my own chances from my choices instead of being disappointed and having a negative experience instead of a positive one... plus i never believe them anyway so most probably wouldn't even go in, and if i did, certainly would not trust them, so what's the point...does this make me sound old and cranky? nope...just not a stooge...yeah, i agree with all that posted about how something should taste....give me the ingredients and tell me how its prepared...i can figure it out from there...please don't tell me its going to melt in my mouth.....please!

joey

hi all from the end of the world, but sunny arizona.....knew something was up when a highway road service sign( you know the blue ones that have icons for gas, food, lodging etc, read...NO SERVICES)....oh yeah, we're talking real boonies here....but good...gotta love it!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Pasta alfredo when it isn't.

Caesar salad when it isn't.

mjb.

14. ohbeary

ohbeary

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Drizzled and Draped tch!

15. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     When they say "homemade" on the menu and the item clearly tastes like it came out of a box, bag or can.

16. catering101

catering101

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

I definitely agree. Or when you say it's an "original recipe" yet it just tasted like you could have done the same food yourself.

indygal likes this.
  17. gobblygook

gobblygook

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    From Anne Burrell (I like her show, just some of her phrases kill me):

"doing great things"

"btb/rts - bring to boil, reduce to simmer"

"happy girl"

And from Paula Deen and The Neeley's..:

"y'all" in that southern drawl.  It gets old quickly. 

18. crocker33

crocker33

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I hate it when...  The waitress approaches the table and in a very concerned tone tells me - "Be sure to let me know if you need anything".  

That's code for: I'll be wondering around elsewhere; come find me because I won't be back this way anytime soon....

After a long wait, I have actually "wondered" into the kitchen and caught her flirting, and told her that I wanted some butter.  No tip that day. 

19. crocker33

crocker33

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That dope on The Neeleys is copying Paula Deen by addressing the audience as "Yawl".  I despise P. Deens exaggerated country, and really can't abide that Neeley man lying to us constantly.  I caught him in three lies in one episode about BBQ.  I know BBQ.  He doesn't.  I also know his father Jim Neeley (a gentleman) of INTERSTATE BBQ fame in Memphis.  He (Jim and his wife) should get credit for good BBQ.  Not Pat.  He is an abortion.

Or should have been....

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  20. crocker33

crocker33

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think it was Concord or another; not Merriam-Webster that added it as a word to their dictionary.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010