Food Warmer Candles

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by edwardbe, Jul 6, 2011.

1. edwardbe

edwardbe

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi,

I do smoked BBQ pork spareribs for vintage tractor shows and similar events here in Northern California and am tired of spending a fortune on Sterno. Sterno makes food warmer candles that they claim will last for 15 hours and can be bought by the gross at $0.35 per candle on Amazon.

I haven't found a way to buy just a few or I wouldn't ask.

Has anyone ever used these? I'm skeptical that the heat level will be adequate compared to gel. If it is, I'm surprised they aren't mentioned more often.

Thanks,

Ed

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    never seen them, I know of caterers that use votives for a low heat

3. edwardbe

edwardbe

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks for the reply. The 3rd party vendor on Amazon says the Sterno literature says they will work fine, so I'm going to buy a case. I'll post the (hopefully positive) results here.

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Ed,

The wick's are all we have here. I haven't seen gel in a while. Any restaurant supply house should have them. I want to say they are boxed in 12s.

If they are not available there let me know. Hum? I wonder if I can legally ship those. Let me see.

panini

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Edward,

I misunderstood. We have the 6 hr wicks. You can get those at cosco. I haven't seen anything with that amount of time unless it's wax.

Actually sterno makes a votive. I don't think that is what you're needing.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. edwardbe

edwardbe

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    What I bought is here: I'll let everyone know if they are hot enough to keep a chafing dish's contents hot enough to be safe and tasty.