Food substitutions ???

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by ma facon, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sounds like simple human ingenuity to me. What is your take on this ? Is it done as a fad ? Maybe a passing thought ? Or because that is what is available ? Do you agree with the exploitation of something so simple ? This is the place to speak yours. :)

2. chef_oz

chef_oz

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Im not too clear as to what your asking,
    I mean, subing certain food for another is the part of the business. I'd run finger potatoes till the dirt dried up but I can't so I sub for a white rose or even a red "b". If in reguards to oils and sauces. You really can't, Well... I shouldn't say you can't but its kind of tacky me thinks. Say if a prawns says meyer oil on the menu and you try and mix lemon in grapeseed oil. I'm sure the joe comes in might not catch it, but what if its a regular guest. You may have just lost a client! So you make your menu to suit your budget/sales.
    That's what I've always cooked by!
    :ciao:
    ps. carlin's right!

3. chef_oz

chef_oz

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I pulled a homer
    Well, I didn't notice the Special Guest Section before posting. D'oh The link on amazon has a few pages and some of the ideas I thought were right on. The Allspice w/ Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg I've done and worked very well. The Acidulated Water mix sounds great too. I'm going to join the discussion next week and see what else I can learn.
    :ciao:

4. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Very observant, I thought I would provoke some thoughts prior to the discussion.:chef: