food service

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by clyde armstrong, Jul 11, 2012.

1. clyde armstrong

clyde armstrong

Exp:
    Other
    Being in the food service industry from growing food to serving food etc since i was a young child , i have to say i am appauled by the lack of professionalism i see happening from the grease stands to the five star restaurants . Restaurants will hire anybody these days and so much for the health food cards what joke that is they give them to anybody  . I started at a restaurant when i was 16 washing dishes and work my way up to line cooking on the fly  . My first boss Ernie  was an old lady -- grease cook  - she knew some things but she was not a chef  by far , my second boss Brian Bennette very serious about cooking i learned good things from him  and my third boss Jerry he taught me somethings also .Then i work at Whitman Towers in Walla Walla to put my self through college, i applied for dish washer cause i needed to focus on school not cooking --- i take dish washing very seriously lets just put it this way people lost their jobs cause i not only kickass at it speed wise iam anal about making things clean for the customers and the cooks accordingly seasoned pans etc are the exception . but before you knew it the head chef Kenny wanted me to quit college and join the family to be a chef  lol  -- i said thanks but no thanks .So i was the dish washer and prep cook and i took pride in what i did and did right not half assed -- i give a shit . No one seems to give a crap anymore . Really somethin wrong  out there and i have had experience with owners that are only in it for the money and won't lift a finger and hire ediots . Frustrating ! Tired of getting home and throwing up litterally .

2. bolyard

bolyard

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm sure you are much older than I am (23yrs old myself) and I'm sorry that you have run into so many unprofessional people in your lifetime but I think its not only limited to the food industry, although our industry certainly does pick up the bottom of the barrel type people: felons,cons and dropouts. But I think that its a lack of passion in which leads people to be like that and low personal standards. I try as hard as I can to be a smart cook, one cleans as he goes and respects the dishwashers position. Its a sad state of affairs when owners care more about the money than they do about their staff. Gone are the days of Marco pierre white telling a customer to f**k off out his kitchen and actually care about his cooks, servers and dishwashers.

3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Sadly, taking responsibility for ones actions and the motivation necessary to deal with daily life has escaped some peoples.

And you're right....it's not just the restaurant business.  SIGH!!

4. fryguy

fryguy

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    whats an ediots........hmmmm

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    cacioepepe likes this.