Food Processor Not My First Choice But...

Joined Jul 5, 2014
I have hand-selected Japanese knives and absolutely love them and my knife skills are not shabby either. However, I have permanent nerve damage in my dominant hand and arm resulting in chronic and sometimes severe pain. I love to prep and cook but sometimes prep is extremely difficult for me so much so that I often resort to organic frozen meals. So I'm considering the purchase of a food processor - yes I know sacrilege! I don't want one too small I'm thinking around 9-12 cup size. I cook a little of everything but to make things easier I often do one-pot Instant Pot meals enough to last several days of lunch and dinner. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but I often eat like I am which I don't mind because I love them, but I still eat meat, seafood, and poultry. Please forgive any typos typing is very painful as well. One more thing my preferred budget is under $100 if that's even reasonable.

Are there any specific ones you folks would recommend?

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
There is no sacrilege... it’s just another tool.

cuisinart has a long history and stellar reputation.

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
You won't get the power you need in the size you want at that price point. There are small ones at a few cups. Pepin has used them on his shows now and then.

A mandolin is worth considering.

You might also consider an inexpensive slap chopper. Not a volume production tool but reasonable for your situation.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
There are so many things I do with mine it has become an essential tool in the kitchen. Want to grind a small amount of meat? blitz it in the proc, It's a lot easier to clean than the grinder. Ruff puff? start it in the proc, pesto is a breeze in the proc too. Why chase nuts around the cutting board. It's one of those things you make discoveries on - they are very flexible.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I agree with the others that the food processor has become an indispensable tool in my kitchen. I couldn't make hash browns, shredded carrots or shredded beets salad, etc... without one.

My model of choice is the Braun 12 cup food processor: solid as a rock, dependable, easy to work with, easy to clean, only at $160, it's a bit more money than what you've allocated for: https://amzn.to/36KWXmc

Joined May 28, 2015
I agree with the others that the food processor has become an indispensable tool in my kitchen. I couldn't make hash browns, shredded carrots or shredded beets salad, etc... without one.
I don't have a food processor but do make shredded carrots, beets, potatoes etc. using a hand held julienne cutter - this sort of thing. But obviously if you are making large quantities a food processor is much quicker.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 18.30.48.png

I survive quite easily without a food processor - its a question of space for me (very tiny kitchen) plus not cooking in bulk.

Could be a different story if I was unable to use my hands/arms properly.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I wasn't thinking of that sort of device indeed. But still yes I regularly (about once or twice a week) make large salad bowls full of grated carrots, beets, turnips... also for large quantities of grated cheese, to quickly make bread crumbs, hummus, etc...

Interesting: I found an older thread of mine where I was wondering if I really needed one myself! ——> https://cheftalk.com/threads/what-do-you-do-with-your-food-processor.95587/

Joined May 28, 2015
I wasn't thinking of that sort of device indeed. But still yes I regularly (about once or twice a week) make large salad bowls full of grated carrots, beets, turnips... also for large quantities of grated cheese, to quickly make bread crumbs, hummus, etc...

Interesting: I found an older thread of mine where I was wondering if I really needed one myself! ——> https://cheftalk.com/threads/what-do-you-do-with-your-food-processor.95587/
Hey - that is an old thread. Some of you guys have been here a long time!

I do have an electric mini chopper which is perfect for making breadcrumbs (or chopping vegetables should I be feeling lazy). But I don't use it very often. A stick blender (immersion blender) plus hand held , mandolin, julienne cutter & microplanes seems to do everything I need.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I suppose one with attachments that will make cuke and carrot slices, if anyone can give a brand/model.

Joined Jul 5, 2014
I apologize I just got back here. I've been dealing with a lot of pain lately and thought about this again. So I decided to come back and see the replies.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I apologize I just got back here. I've been dealing with a lot of pain lately and thought about this again. So I decided to come back and see the replies.
I think you should allocate more money to your budget. What will happen with the cheap one is it will work for a little while, you’ll fall in love with it, then it will break down and you’ll be forced to buy a better one. In which case you’ll be spending a lot more money than you originally intended.

Joined Jul 5, 2014
I think you should allocate more money to your budget. What will happen with the cheap one is it will work for a little while, you’ll fall in love with it, then it will break down and you’ll be forced to buy a better one. In which case you’ll be spending a lot more money than you originally intended.
I completely agree which is why I have put off my purchase for a bit! I would rather buy something that will last for years. The way most things used to!

Latest posts

Top Bottom