Food Fantasy

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by lynne, Nov 5, 2000.

1. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK, Food Network has a new show on called Food Fantasy -- one lady had an opening of a diner in her basement, one made a dinner with the beer her son brewed, one man got to be a chef for a day in a NY restaurant...

What is your ultimate food fantasy?

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Wiily Wonka!!!!

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Either foraging with Alice Waters or Exploring Chef's Garden with a knowledgeable funky veg chef.

4. isa

isa

I'm with Cape Chef give me a day in a kitchen with Escoffier, Bocuse, Chapel and I will be happy.

Sisi

5. kpollard_2000

kpollard_2000

Working with a different caterer each month to learn new technics and ideas...Or even working with different chefs....I luuuuv learning new things. Hey shroom, if your ever short of help [​IMG]

6. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i was thinking about learning asian trade cooking to enable myself to combine modern european and cantonese cuisine to produce a sort of fusion yum cha using european ingredients.

that would be cool

7. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There are so many chefs I would love to shadow. If I had to choose one, I would like to meet with Julia Childs in her prime because I admire so much what she has accomplished. It hurts to watch her not be able to handle kitchen equipment comfortably now. It's got to be a devastating thing to have happen. I can't imagine not being able to just walk into the kitchen and cook up a storm!

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Me, too, Lynne. I tried to watch one of her newer series (Baking with Julia??), where she sort of lurked on the side while other chefs cooked. She was reduced to oohhing and aahhing, and asking inane questions. Her next series with Jacques Pepin was much better, as she actually cooked. She seemed much happier! I'd also love to meet Julia from about 1985, and to take a culinary tour of France- for a year (since this IS a fantasy!). I guess I'd also like to take a class/tour (say, a year-long one) with Marcella Hazan or Lidia Bastianich.

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Chef's Garden....not sure very north...I want to say OHIO....NYTimes did a great article on them a couple of monthes ago....I'm really trying to convnce some of the farmers around here that it would be really great if they did the same thing!!!
    I have to continue talking......they don't believe me yet what people will pay for fancy fun produce.

K_P always looking for help...never know when I'll be in need.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited 11-06-2000).]

10. isa

isa

I lied. My favourite food fantasy is not to meet Bocuse or some other chef but something else, something I have been dreaming about for years. I've always wonder what it would have been like to work in the kitchen of the Chateau de Versailles under the reign of Louis XIV. All those pièces montées and banquets that never end.

Sisi

11. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would love to have worked with Fredy giredet,Robuchon,and Ferinand Pointe.I would like to eat my way through Asia

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Sisi~ in what capacity...fly on the wall, sous, head, somewhere in the middle??? Or better yet as a guest. NO AC!

13. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mezzaluna,

I'll join you on the tour!

I got so angry a couple of years ago when she was a guest on Martha Stewart's Christmas special! The project croguenbouche! And Julia's hands just have a difficult time with all that. Martha kept on saying hers were so perfect and that Julia's were just, should she say "rustic". Oh I was so mad!

Now my other food fantasy is to treat my mother to her food fantasy: a crab feast; crab cakes, a Maryland crab boil, sauteed crab in butter, you name it in every way imaginable. One of these days I may be able to do it the way she fantasizes! Until then, we're there, one crabcake at a time.

14. isa

isa

Shroomgirl,

To enjoy my "time" in the Chateau's kitchen I would have to be in a high rank position. I can't imagine how hard life must have been for the plongeur or the assistants. I think I would have to be a guest chef or a fly on the wall or why not the invisible person....

Sisi

15. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What a great topic! Off the bat I would love to have traded shoes with Brillat Savran and attended the many banquets and top restaurants that he did. My number one food fantasy is still do enjoy the meal that is prepared in Babette's Feast. [​IMG]

------------------
    Thanks,

Nicko
    [email protected]

16. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sisi,

Great fantasy! (as long as you're not the drudge...). It would have to be fascinating!

17. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Good one Sisi, do you ever wonder what it would have been like cooking in the heat of the summer....I wonder if they made the fragile desserts, or how they kept parishables....Iceboxes/what did they use pre walk-ins?
    Just the laundry (washing and ironing) had to have been exstensive....all those pleats for the banquets.

18. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

A peaceful day in the kitchen!!!!

19. isa

isa

Shroomgirl,

I don't think we could ever begin to comprehend how hard life for the chefs and, specially, the other workers. Life in the kitchen in those days must have been ****. With their limited means, lack of modern conveniences, they had to present dishes of a complexity we can't begin to imagine. And they had to be ready for anything and everything. No one would accept to work in such gruesome conditions in this day and age.

Hygiene wasn't a priority in those day. They say you knew you were approaching Versailles by the smell. Imagine all the vermin they had to deal with in the kitchen. I wish I could find a copy of Antonin Carême's Le pâtissier royal Parisien. It must a be fascinating to read recipes for the complex dishes of that time.

How they mange to get everything ready for all the banquets is not understandable. Just getting a oven to the right temperature must have been a exploit. As for preserving food at the right temperature I can't even imagine how they did it.

Sisi

20. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    To live a hop, skip, and a jump from an ocean dock so that I might partake of any fresh seafood I wanted.

To meet and learn from my favorite chefs! [​IMG]