Food Experiences in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jake t buds, Sep 29, 2014.

1. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Hi

I'll be flying into Charlotte, plan on staying in Ashville, and will be attending a wedding in Durham (Raleigh) in late October. I'll be there for a week. Going to try to hike the smoky mountains and see the Biltmore in Ashville for a couple of days. 

Are there any food experiences I should look for? This means anything from michelin chefs to food trucks. 

I'd also  take any other advice i.e. things to do. I'm trying to plan the trip dividing up days, etc,  

Thanks and much appreciated!!!!

2. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    It's a good thing I have about three weeks to go. Enough time for a response - I hope!!!!

3. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I wish I had food experience there.. but my experiences have been in swimming in Mills river.. Looking glass falls and sliding rock.

Check out the PBS "The Mind of a Chef" season 1 episode 15.. he covers NC BBQ as part of that show.

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Had a VERY nice dinner many years ago at The Oak Grove Inn outside of Asheville. Maybe it is still there. And there was this really funky coffeeshop we went to every day we were there, but of course it was about 20 years ago, I don't remember the name or location. But I am sure there are plenty of them there now.

5. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Hi.

Me again. 

Just keeping the thread alive in case those with some advice haven't seen it. 

Thanks again!!!

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Will you be staying in Charlotte at all?  That's all I know, this comes from my BFF who lives there:

Charlotte is a series of neighborhoods, so it's full of fine eateries depending on where you are.

Uptown: 5 Church Restaurant, Rooster's Restaurant are both delicious
    Midtown/Metropolitan: Dressler's Restaurant
    Plaza Midwood:Midwood Smokehouse (best BBQ in town) Soul Gastrolounge, Peculiar Rabbit, The Dish (a no frills, southern food - killer  meatloaf sandwich).
    NoDa: Cabo Fish Taco, Revolution Ale House

Myers Park: Block & Grinder is a great mid-high end burger restaurant and butcher shop.

7. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    @Koukouvagia  I land in Charlotte and don't know if I'll be there more than an afternoon.If there are other things to do, we might stay. I'll look up some of those places and choose one for lunch, for sure. 

@eastshores  I saw the episode of mind of a chef. I'll look that place up as well. 

Thanks all for your input. 

Still an open thread, so if you want to add, I'm still checking!!

Thanks again!!

8. rawbar15

rawbar15

Exp:
    Line Cook
    check out curate in ashville and One restaurant in chapel hill.