Food Dehydrator

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mrmexico25, May 15, 2013.

1. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm looking into making my own Chicharones, and one recipe I learned is by boiling the pig skin, drying it and then dehydrating it.  I'm interested in a good quality food dehydrator that can produce enough product to make it worth while, and at a decent price.  I don't necessarily need a commercial quality one.  Also, I have access to a convection oven and 2 large electric smokers.  Would either of these be good alternatives instead of buying a new machine?  Thanks...

2. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    obviously frying it after its dehydrated... i just thought that went without saying...

3. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Electric smoker would work if you can control the temp down to 150f or so

4. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    How long should I leave it in the smoker for? Te recipe I saw for the dehydrator said like 26 hours. Also, I dunno if I should use wood or not. Maybe I should just experiment a little on it...

5. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You want the pieces to just barely fray when you bend them in half.  Not snap - that is too crisp.

You also need to do this test on room-temp pieces... not hot ones... they always bend.

Start testing when you think they might be done... it really depends on the type and cut of meat.

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    no wood for dehydrating

7. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Thanks!  I'm looking forward to doing this so I'll post some pics when i get some time to try it out.