Food Costs

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by molliebs12, Mar 12, 2014.

1. molliebs12

molliebs12

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Hi All,

I am a relatively new cookie business.  I am trying to cut down on my food costs.  I am thinking of switching from Plugra butter ($100 for 36 lbs.) to another brand ($66 for 30 lbs.) Both unsalted.  Do you think anyone will be able to tell the difference.  I'd rather get a less expensive butter than switch out my Callebaut chocolate chips.  

Also, I use Valhrona cocoa.  Frightfully expensive.  Thoughts on a comparable brand; i.e., Bendsdorp(sp), Cargill, Callebaut, etc.    I would appreciate any and all input.  Thanks so much.

2. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Never heard of that brand of butter - and it doesn't really matter.

It also doesn't matter if either you or some of your customers can tell if there is a difference.

Before switching out any ingredient answer the following:

Are you pricing your product correctly?

Is your product selling and what is your desired place to be in the market?

Where does your product actually fit into that market - upscale, economy?

(basically compare what your business plan is and where you actually are)

I've know several places that used very high-end ingredients but they were still labeled as 'economy' places because of other issues. 

Put the horse before the cart!

Food costs are very seldom the 'culprit' for not making a profit.  The usual culprit is management or poor business plan.

3. goldilocks

goldilocks

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Perhaps you could get some people to taste test your products using the new ingredient before you commit to buying a load of it and potentially finding out it doesn't taset as nice.

Give a few away free and ask for feedback?

Goldi