Food Cost HELP for food truck...... please

Joined Sep 10, 2018
I dont work in restaurants anymore, i use to as a line cook for 7 years before leaving the business to be a firefighter. Im in the process of opening a food truck in oregon and im trying to cost out my recipes. Im having a hard time finding the cost of ingredients on the wholesale level on the internet. I was wondering if someone could share their invoices or costs with me for dairy,meat,chicken paper. basically anything you are willing to share. I understand your costs wont be my costs but im just trying to ballpark numbers right now until i have the chance to do my own shopping. thanks for any help anyone is willing to give

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Welcome Medic! If your in or close to a large city look for your pricing at Costco. Most Food trucks don't have a real large menu so it shouldn't be to involved. I'm over in Washington State so I'll send you a high five and good luck with your new business. If you want you could post your menu and most of use could give you a ball park food cost.......ChefBillyB

Joined Sep 10, 2018
Thanks I’ll do that when I get a chance..I will be using restaraunt depot for my dry goods and paper. I was hoping to get my dairy meat poultry from either a farmers or butcher shop with a great reputation. I believe quality of ingredients is what separates good from from crap.

Joined Sep 10, 2018
Here’s my potential menu
I’m setting my prices right now as compared to competitors in the area. I haven’t actually gotten prices to calculate my COGS. Will he doing this next week. It’s a meat/farm based theme
This will be a 2 person operation open 6 days in the early opening from 1130-8 with a whole day dedicated to prep. Any suggestions an feed back would greatly appreciated from fellow chefs and food truckers....thanks

Menu

Savory Pies with leaf lard crusts

4slice. 13whole

Tomato Pie (gruyere/goat/carmelized onions)

Chicken pot pie (roast chicken gravy/garden veg)

Mushroom pie- seasonal Oregon mushrooms onions

Sandwiches:

Pork belly - (herb chimi. Garlic confit mayo. Seasonal greens ex: arugala )
11$

Burger - (brisket/chuck , lettuce/tom/pick. American. Mayo ketchup sauce) . $10

Roast Pork shoulder - tomato jam , vinegar pickles, provolone- 9$

Grilled cheese - bacon jam / Brie/ tellegio 6$

Sides :

Duck fat fried potatoes - 6
Mac and cheese - 4
Seasonal VEg - 4

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Portland, Oregon is all about farm fresh quality. I'm not sure I could be of any help because your costs will be higher buying from Butchers and farms. I think your right by setting your prices in the ballpark of your competitors. You will soon find out if those prices are right and something you could live with. Good luck........ChefBillyB

Joined Apr 15, 2018
I dont work in restaurants anymore, i use to as a line cook for 7 years before leaving the business to be a firefighter. Im in the process of opening a food truck in oregon and im trying to cost out my recipes. Im having a hard time finding the cost of ingredients on the wholesale level on the internet. I was wondering if someone could share their invoices or costs with me for dairy,meat,chicken paper. basically anything you are willing to share. I understand your costs wont be my costs but im just trying to ballpark numbers right now until i have the chance to do my own shopping. thanks for any help anyone is willing to give
Contact local suppliers for their current prices on the items you need. I’m sure they will be willing to help a potential new customer. Also, make sure your credit is good to set up accounts.

Top Bottom