Sponsored Food Challenge: Patak’s Authentic Indian sauces, pastes, chutneys, and pickles

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I got my sample today and 4 of the 6 jars had the seal popped and there was a little sauce leakage. One of the jars had some damage on the top.

I know the other two are sealed and should be ok, but I was suspect. After seeing others post with their samples, I feel a bit better. I may go ahead and use the good ones. It is Jalfrezi curry.

02CCC9E8-385A-4A3F-B2F5-424CA1157FA1.jpeg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Oh dear. My samples, rogan josh, were well packed and arrived intact.

While at the Indian market looking around for further inspiration I got some of this:

20180410_021114.jpg

Wow! This is VERY tasty. Now, how to put it all together for posting here...

mjb.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
"Tandoori Style" grilled chicken kabobs. I used the Rogan Josh Curry product for these. I added a little paprika to the simmer sauce for added color and marinate the chunked chicken breast over night. Grilled these over medium high heat. Served along side saffron rice and garnished with "coriander" which in the US we call cilantro. The simmer sauce was a great base for this, as it has cumin, cardamon, and is tomato based. Grilled a little garlic naan to go with it.

tandoorichicken2.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
I am jealous!
I couldn't get any samples ....
Will check what I still have in the cupboard and sneakily enter anyway

Joined Feb 7, 2018
"Tandoori Style" grilled chicken kabobs. I used the Rogan Josh Curry product for these. I added a little paprika to the simmer sauce for added color and marinate the chunked chicken breast over night. Grilled these over medium high heat. Served along side saffron rice and garnished with "coriander" which in the US we call cilantro. The simmer sauce was a great base for this, as it has cumin, cardamon, and is tomato based. Grilled a little garlic naan to go with it.

View attachment 64885
These look beautiful!!!!

Joined Feb 7, 2018
I got my sample today and 4 of the 6 jars had the seal popped and there was a little sauce leakage. One of the jars had some damage on the top.

I know the other two are sealed and should be ok, but I was suspect. After seeing others post with their samples, I feel a bit better. I may go ahead and use the good ones. It is Jalfrezi curry.

View attachment 64882[/QUOTE
Sorry a couple didn't arrive in perfect shape - glad a couple were still Good!

Joined Feb 7, 2018
Pataks Mango Chutney Spread.JPG Pataks Mango Chutney Appetizer.JPG I used the Pataks Mango Chutney and Pataks Major Grey Chutney to put together a fun Charcuterie Sampling Plate / appetizer. I did a mix of meats, cheeses and spreads. The chutney tasted great with all the cheeses and even the hummus. I will be trying this again at my next gathering.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
My first taste of Indian food was in my early 20s when I was an undergrad at Rutgers. I lived in a house with a bunch of med students. One of them was from India and would cook traditional Indian fare regularly. She always offered to share, but I was usually the only taker. I thought it was delicious.

Fast forward to several years later and I was living in San Francisco and regularly dining out at Indian restaurants. I was working in the restaurant industry at that point but had never cooked anything Indian professionally. I did try some stuff at home.

My first attempt was a very Americanized version of Chicken curry, and I actually still keep it in my regular rotation. When I saw this promotion, I knew this was the dish to make. I normally make my own sauce, but the Patak’s Jalfrezi Curry substituted perfectly.
82D84D6C-8BE3-4803-8A31-64383411B553.jpeg

I browned chicken and veg (garlic, onion, ginger, red pepper, carrot, and jalapeños). Then added to large stockpot with Curry sauce, can of coconut milk, and potatoes.
698DE09F-804F-4AD2-95A7-134ECB9084D4.jpeg BC197B0C-D64A-4885-81F8-564D790ECB6A.jpeg F229D2FF-57F6-48DE-8F04-47FFC6B85321.jpeg

This simmered for a few hours, then I added peas and rasins for last 20 minutes of cooking. When it was done, I served with Jasmine rice, garlic naan, and topped with chopped cashews and cilantro. It was amazing.
1E5D0F89-D12B-4346-AD17-7E1C9ACA5051.jpeg 5AE70908-792E-4D35-9220-FF55A8B6A329.jpeg

(Note: I normally use Basmati rice, but have a 25# bag of Jasmine, so, i used Jasmine)

Attachments

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Looks great planethoff planethoff I was in the same boat with the jasmine rice! I have not seen much use of cashews like that in Indian cooking. But there's something like 115 "states" in India and I know the culinary landscape varies a lot between them.

Joined Aug 21, 2009
I use Patak's curry pastes often when I make Indian food at home and I've always been happy with the results. I bought their pappadums a few weeks ago and when I finished them they were almost as good as the pappadums at our favourite Indian restaraunt. This post has me thinking I am going to make Indian food tomorrow...

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I requested a sample pack of rogan josh tomato based curry sauce, a style that I've not worked with before. But there are a LOT of Indian cooking things I have not worked with before, so looking to expand my horizons a bit here.

The Players

Here we have a jar of the Rogan Josh, a couple of goat chops and a hunk of goat shank, onion, a somewhat dry and shriveled piece of turmeric root and some dried red chilies.

20180413_211701.jpg

The turmeric root was purchased during the ginger challenge. I had to use all the roots left, about 5, to get a decent amount after paring away the dried, shriveled part.

The Procedure

First step was dealing with the goat. It was seasoned with salt and pepper, put into a plastic bag and sat in the sous vide cooker for 24 hours at 160F.

20180414_202905.jpg

It wasn't quite as tender as I expected, thinking maybe 175 - 180 might have been better. But the chops were cut into bits, some of the meat was cut off the bone. It went into a enameled cast iron pot to get browned in some rendered salt pork.

20180414_205432.jpg

What is it they say about not overcrowding the pan? Anyway, after a bit of time the goat is removed and the onion, diced, and turmeric root, minced, get tossed in to sweat and soften.

20180414_210221.jpg

The goat is added back, the jar of rogan josh poured in, dried chilies get crumbled into the mix, heat set to low.

20180414_213337.jpg

Put on the lid, let it go for a while, like about 2 - 3 hours. The leg certainly benefited from the low and slow braise.

20180419_192312.jpg

Pull of the meat, back into the pot. Meanwhile, get some brown basmati rice going.

The Product

Pile of rice, the goat curry, fresh cilantro ( coriander ) on top and some garlic naan on the side.

20180419_203407.jpg

Good stuff. Nice basic tomato flavor to the sauce, heat level was just about right. I will admit, though, it tasted better the next day. Imagine that!

mjb.

Joined Mar 21, 2018
French fries, they show this one on their wed site. This looks to be about the same. The kind of thick marinade that you just rub into the chicken and let marinate in the refer for a few hours.

I never prepared any sort of Indian Dish till now but I will give it a shot. Thanks for recommending this. I will also share all experience while making Indian food, also it's taste.

Latest posts

Top Bottom