Food Blogs and Websites.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jake t buds, Nov 16, 2016.

1. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    What other food forums or blogs do you guys visit or frequent? 

Any other worthwhile communities out there? 

What similarities and differences do they have when compared to cheftalk?

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    None. One is enough for me! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Well I do end up on food blogs sometimes after googling recipes, but I don't have food blogs bookmarked so that I can visit them on a regular basis, like I do Cheftalk.

One of the latest food blogs I ended up finding and visiting a few times is http://persianmama.com/

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like this one http://www.dianekochilas.com/

I'm also a regular at jamieoliver.com but the forum there is not maintained well.

In the past year I've mainly been focusing on instagram.  I post my food pics there and keep a running log.  I also find other foodiegramers to be fascinating and the videos are crazy good.  

My favorite recipe search is tastespotting.com

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I looked at chowhound once. Idiot foodies blech.

5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I am in bbq-brethren a lot but actually never during nice weather. I read it from november to pre season for sales haha.

6. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
  7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    discusscooking has plenty of talented people. Indeed, there are many crossover members between Cheftalk and DC. For my taste, DC has a very high chattiness. So a much lower signal to noise ratio. Cheftalk maintains a much higher level of topical discourse generally and still has a friendlier atmosphere than most.  

nicko likes this.
  8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Went there when you posted it and saw a recipe of zucchini fries with sheep cheese... bought some Pecorino today, and when coming home I found this big old zucchini which I would normally throw out. But I cut the outside, removed the inside, cut it into fries, into the flour, oil, Pecorino on top.... delicious! My kids loved it and my wife said I should turn it into a main next time (this was just an app).

So... thanks! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    koukouvagia likes this.
  9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    flipflopgirl likes this.
  10. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    eGullet is dead. That place is a ghost town compared to it's heyday. I dunno know what really happened, some sort of power struggle or something with the original founder? Anyways, that place used to be great, and the searchable database is still killer for looking things up (especially things like sous vide, etc). But not a lot of "new" things going on, or new members, etc. Seems kind of like a few people made it through the end of the site and are kind of hanging on for nostalgia. 

11. daxx

daxx

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Hello you all,

well as you can see I'm pretty new here in the forum. Actually this is my first post..

I regularly browse through all kinds of different food blogs (I actually write a small one myself as a little private project). One blog that I really enjoy reading is foodwishes.blogspot.com.. there are loads of recipes and plenty of useful information (at least for me, but I'm definitely not a professional chef).

12. midlife

midlife

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If you looked in the past year I can totally agree with the "blech" part but Chowhound was never a cooking site except for some of the recipe sharing boards and topics. It was a site meant to point interested people to great food experiences at smaller, often hidden gem restaurants. I find it kinda odd to have someone on a supposed "chef oriented" site look down on their own customer base. If you were a young creative chef would you have a problem with people posting about your restaurant for locals to find you? Chowhound is only a shadow of its former self now, but I'm wondering if your issue is with it now, earlier, or with sites like that in general.

13. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    While true, you must also remember the thrust of the original post of food forum and blogs now. 

Chowhound almost always comes up in my food searches as does epicurious. I've used both as research points, but I don't visit them for current discussion and as a routine information feed on the topic. So certainly useful, but not what I would recommend for best daily reading on food topics. For values of what I find to be interesting daily reading. 

The exception for that rule is epicurious and chefsteps feeding into each other in sous vide with the Joule cooker and supporting recipes and content. I usually see that as a weekly topic though. 

14. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Believe it or not, Craigslist used to have a great food forum. Haven't been on in a couple of years so I don't know if it's changed but it may be worth perusing.

15. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  16. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    When googling for information I occasionally come across egullet, and one other beginning with e I think.  Good information, but boring people.

17. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I judge a forum on two topics... can you take this info to the bank plus friendly and welcoming members.

CT has both of these with the years of culminated knowledge blowing all others out of the water IMO.

Since being reborn as a soccer mom I only get a couple of hours of day for myself so mostly I am here and at least keep up with homesicktexan.com. (blog) for the spin she puts on down home dishes.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

mimi

18. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm an adventurous home cook with many other very good cooks as friends and cupboards stuffed with every ethnic ingredient you can imagine, but I'm not a serious foodie.That just seems like more expense, effort, and seriousness than I can expend. My day-to-day food is always very healthful. I have many good ethnic markets with good, fresh, interesting vegetables I like to make cakes. Everyone smiles at you when you walk down the street carrying a cake. 

Blogs I visit regularly are:

Smitten Kitchen --She has never steered me wrong. And, she's funny, she's a good writer, and she takes exquisite pictures.She's been at it for over a decade and now has an extensive archive which is well-organized.

Food 52--User recipes that somehow manage to be well-curated. Lots of young users, very enthusiastic,open to new ideas, with many special-diet (vegan, gluten-free) recipes that actually work and taste good. Lots of young users with a lot of enthusiasm and an openness to new foods and ideas.  I've gotten my 2 go-to gluten-free baked desserts from that site. People like Dorie Greenspan, Alice Medrich, David Lebovitz, & Diana Henry contribute now and then. They did a cookbook awhile ago called "Genius Recipes" that collected things from a deep archive of seminal cookbooks, like Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce that requires nothing more than canned tomatoes,a clove-pierced onion, and butter --and still manages to be delicious. I thought about buying it, then realized I actually already possessed most of the cookbooks the genius recipes came from.

David Lebovitz--Former pastry chef at Chez Panisse. Lives in Paris now, so in addition to the food, he often posts things about life in Paris. Like the real estate listing for Patricial Wells' Paris well-appointed pied-a-terre, which seems to have a gigantic, amazing kitchen but seems not to have bedrooms.  Desserts. Breads, puddings, ice cream. His ice cream book--"The Perfect Scoop" is the single best ice cream book I've seen--and I work in a bookstore, so I see them all. Unlike most restaurant chefs' recipes, his are not fussy or complicated at all but they do manage to be elegant and delicious.

Simply Recipes--Really homey, family-style home cooking. Everything is doable,un-fussy, and delicious. 

I also have Epicurious, The Food Lab column from Serious Eats, & Bon Appetit on my Facebook feed and I look at the Saveur, Food & Wine, & Fine Cooking sites pretty often.

19. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Not many other than Cheftalk. I do check the pizza making forum from time to time, but with my wife's recent casting aside gluten, not many pizzas these days. There's a couple of bbq forums I check in on once in a while.

Some time ago I set up http://wasatchfoodies.com  but never really put enough effort into it to make it worthwhile. Perhaps I should regroup and revamp the site.

mjb.

20. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Thanks for the responses.

What prompted this thread was the heavy handed censorship lately here at cheftalk. More specifically, I had a comment deleted because nikko didn't think it was funny, even though the OP found it humorous and inspirational (thats what he told me). It wasn't even in the pro forum. That degree of subjectivity is extremely off-putting. It doesn't make me want to participate. Humor is part of life and most certainly part of a professional kitchen. It also seems some people don't know what it's like to live in a society that censors the press and it's citizens (yet). What that effectively does is make people censor themselves, and suppress their personality, and that's never a good thing. I'm not suggesting a free for all either, but deleting a joke that offended no one? Seriously?

There is also a fair amount of condescension that is allowed at the same time. I don't get it. You want a professional atmosphere, yet you allow arrogance, abrasiveness, and the ridicule/ mocking of other posters? What is this, Hell's kitchen? I think the authoritarian chef that berates and belittles his staff has been relegated to the trash heap of history. Besides, this isn't a commercial kitchen. 

Having said that, there are a great deal of interesting and smart people here. There is a ton of good information as well and I've come to like many people. Even members that aren't here anymore. The intention with talking about this publicly is to make this place better. Make people aware of what they say and how they say it. Including me, but I see a great deal of inconsistency in moderating the site.

I fully expect this post to be deleted since it doesn't paint cheftalk like it's the best thing since sliced bread. 

At any rate, thanks for the websites and blogs. And for reading. 

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    french fries and foody518 like this.