Food allergies

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ndesign33, May 20, 2019.

1. ndesign33

ndesign33

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm having a simple dinner party, but some of my guests have a variety of food allergies: dairy, nuts, onions, garlic. Most of my recipes call for the latter two. =:-0 I was thinking of stuffing a chicken breast w/ Boursin and wrapping it w/ pancetta, but I need a substitute for the dairy and garlic filling for my guests. I'd really like some suggestions.

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Cancel the dinner party. lol

brianshaw likes this.
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It is easy to make a dairy free substitute for the boursin using soft tofu, just browser search. Most of the recipes will probably contain cashews but you can sub those with sunflower seeds. Also be sure to leave out any garlic, onion, etc.

You also could go a completely different from boursin all together but without more information it is too wide open to just start throwing out suggestions.

4. ndesign33

ndesign33

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Wish I could.

sgsvirgil likes this.
  5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Why? Don't know how to get creative?

6. ndesign33

ndesign33

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I am a home cook who uses onions and garlic. No vampires in my neighborhood. I was hoping for some suggestions for the chicken to accompany the recipe for wrapped, stuffed breasts.

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Honestly I wouldn’t make that dish. I would choose a different dish that you don’t have to make a bunch of substitutions on. Like grilled lamb chops and asparagus with roasted potatoes. Or if you want to do the chicken stuff it with spinach and roasted red pepper, leave out any cheese and top it with an avgolemono sauce which is very creamy but has no cream in it.

Make an olive oil cake for dessert and top with dairy free ice cream.

fatcook likes this.
  8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I agree with @koukouvagia put a different menu together. If you do a little homework you can host a great party without the headache.

Substituting ingredients can be tricky. Lets say you use tofu as a substitute for some dairy, but you have a guest who is allergic to nuts. Soy and Peanut proteins are very similar and the body can have a "cross reactivity" to one, or the other. I'm using this as an example there are many other "cross reactive" proteins out there. Food allergies are not to be taken lightly I know - I have developed a late onset allergy to soy and nuts in the past year. Guess what's in damned near everything off the shelf, or processed on "shared machinery"??? You guessed it . . .

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  9. ndesign33

ndesign33

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you all for your input. I did my research online and discovered my guest has IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). I can use garlic infused olive 0oil, but no onions. I think even garlic powder. I will follow Koukouvagia's suggestion and stuff the one chicken breast with spinach and roast peppers before wrapping it.. That way my guest won't feel different from the rest of the guests. I am creating several small Kitchen Dinners w/ no more than 3 couples at a time. Creating a menu that fits all their "problems" has given me quite a challenge. I did this last year and it was a real hit. Thanks again to you all.