Chef Forum banner

Fondue To Order - Best Technique

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  allanmcpherson 
#1 ·
Hey so I have an idea (ok it might be partially stolen but what isn't these days and you know etc etc)
anyway, it is an app or shareable or whatever that involves fondue. So my problem is I've never done fondue before, and definitely not in an a la minute setting. So my question:

What would your suggestions be to achieve a fondue texture ( cheese dipping sauce, not too thick nor too thin, intended as a dip for grilled bread) cheese sauce that can be picked up on the line in a la carte sized portions ideally in less than 10 or so minutes and that the line cooks will actually be able to do properly as part of a larger menu (i.e. not sitting there stirring it over a double boiler constantly for 6-7 straight minutes or something).

I'm thinking of making a loose bechamel that they can heat up in a pan, swirl shredded cheese into a la minute and dump into the serving vessel. Would the cheese set up before the diner got really into it? Would it be too thick?

#6 · (Edited)
I would try to keep the fondue mix ready to serve in a bain-marie with lid at about 72°C/160°F, put 1/4 of the white wine just before serve.

New loads of fresh uncooked fresh prep would go in the steamer 85-115°C/185-240°F in a flat (max 10cm/4’deep or wide) covered GN. Stir eventually at 2/3 of the process time.

"The Melting Pot" has a clever concept indeed (checked on youTube)

#7 ·
I'd ask you you to try that one out. It'll split if not agitated constantly. Of course, the more binder (corn starch, potsto starch or arrowroot) is in there, the more stable it would be, but then, with a lot of starch you don't have fondue anymore (fondue = melted in french) but a starchy cheese sauce.

#9 ·
I would echo Someday (and Foodpump to an extent) and make your own fondue mix with sodium citrate, or alginate. Its bullet proof once you get your balance right. You can get a cheese/wine/whatever blend that suits your style with little to no starch. As much as starch will help prevent breaking, if you keep it warming it will degrade and thicken. The Swiss Knight product Foodpump mentioned is stabilized with potato starch (not a bad thing) but the real key to it is sodium phospate, which is just a lest efficient version of the salts mentioned above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.