Fondue To Order - Best Technique

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by hellotheguy, Oct 17, 2017.

1. hellotheguy

hellotheguy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey so I have an idea (ok it might be partially stolen but what isn't these days and you know etc etc)
    anyway, it is an app or shareable or whatever that involves fondue. So my problem is I've never done fondue before, and definitely not in an a la minute setting. So my question:

What would your suggestions be to achieve a fondue texture ( cheese dipping sauce, not too thick nor too thin, intended as a dip for grilled bread) cheese sauce that can be picked up on the line in a la carte sized portions ideally in less than 10 or so minutes and that the line cooks will actually be able to do properly as part of a larger menu (i.e. not sitting there stirring it over a double boiler constantly for 6-7 straight minutes or something).

I'm thinking of making a loose bechamel that they can heat up in a pan, swirl shredded cheese into a la minute and dump into the serving vessel. Would the cheese set up before the diner got really into it? Would it be too thick?

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My suggestion would be to invent a time machine to go back to the 70's when fondue was popular

In all seriousness, look up sodium citrate and some associated recipes and see if that points you in the right direction.

allanmcpherson and dectra like this.
  3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    drirene likes this.
  4. BKF

BKF

Exp:
    Accomplished home cook.

Take a look at The Melting Pot and their concept. It's current and a great experience. Three courses - cheese, boiling broth, dessert. Great evening - about 2-3 hour experience suitable for a meal with people that you like.

thomas fontaine likes this.
  5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Look for packaged fondue under the brand name "swiss knight". Good, clean stuff, nothing more than white wine, cheese (50/50 emmenthaler gruyere) and a bit of cornstarch.

6. thomas fontaine

thomas fontaine

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I would try to keep the fondue mix ready to serve in a bain-marie with lid at about 72°C/160°F, put 1/4 of the white wine just before serve.

New loads of fresh uncooked fresh prep would go in the steamer 85-115°C/185-240°F in a flat (max 10cm/4’deep or wide) covered GN. Stir eventually at 2/3 of the process time.

"The Melting Pot" has a clever concept indeed (checked on youTube)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  7. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I'd ask you you to try that one out. It'll split if not agitated constantly. Of course, the more binder (corn starch, potsto starch or arrowroot) is in there, the more stable it would be, but then, with a lot of starch you don't have fondue anymore (fondue = melted in french) but a starchy cheese sauce.

flipflopgirl and nicko like this.
  8. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I agree fondue is not something you can keep in a baine marie if it is a true fondue it will split. If you go with a bechamel option it would not.

9. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I would echo Someday (and Foodpump to an extent) and make your own fondue mix with sodium citrate, or alginate. Its bullet proof once you get your balance right. You can get a cheese/wine/whatever blend that suits your style with little to no starch. As much as starch will help prevent breaking, if you keep it warming it will degrade and thicken. The Swiss Knight product Foodpump mentioned is stabilized with potato starch (not a bad thing) but the real key to it is sodium phospate, which is just a lest efficient version of the salts mentioned above.