Fondue Dipping Sauces

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Next week is my Dad's 76th birthday and we are all getting together.  One night we are going to do fondue, which we haven't done, together, as a family in years.  We are going to do 3 courses; Cheese, Oil, and Chocolate.  My brother is handling the Cheese fondue, I'm handling the Chocolate Fondue and together we are doing the main course fondue.  I am trying to come up with a bunch of dipping sauces and while I am not at a loss for ideas, I'd still love to hear what ideas you all might have also.  We will definitely be cooking beef and chicken and possibly shrimp.  Right now a few of ones I might be doing are:

Horseradish Cream (a definite as everyone in my family loves horseradish)

Creamy Mustard

Curry

Thai Peanut

Sweet & Sour

Chimmichirri

I need a good mix from simple and mild to adventurous and spicy.

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Sriracha mayo

Salt sichuan pepper dip

Gremolata, better as a sprinkle, but I'd enjoy it.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
For lack of a better term, and I know there is one, but can't think of it right now-the main course fondue where you cook the meats and veg in hot oil.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The French name is fondue chinoise. Though a Chinese hotpot is usually boiling stock.

norcalbaker59

Banned
Joined Feb 16, 2017
Thai Crying Tiger dipping sauce called jaew. It calls for dried chili powder, but I've had plenty of versions made with fresh Thai chilies.

The toasted rice powder can be made in minutes. Just google homemade toasted rice powder, Its a common enough ingredient that even Epicurious has a recipe for toasted rice powder on their site.

Jaew (from Meat Wave web site)
* 3 tablespoons fish sauce
* 3 tablespoons lime juice
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions
* 2 teaspoons dried red pepper powder
* 1 teaspoon palm or light brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon toasted rice powder*

Joined Sep 5, 2008
The French name is fondue chinoise. Though a Chinese hotpot is usually boiling stock.
No we call it Fondue bourguignonne. We call Fondue chinoise the Chinese hotpot with boiling stock. 

And it comes with dipping sauces like sauce tartare, sauce bourguignonne, which you can approximate by mixing ketchup and mayo and .. maybe? Some red wine reduction if you want to be fancy about it. Sauce bearnaise, mayo, etc....

I remember walking in the kitchen before lunch while my mum was dicing the meat and I would eat cubes of raw meat, I loved it!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif  

Last edited:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001

No we call it Fondue bourguignonne. We call Fondue chinoise the Chinese hotpot with boiling stock. 

And it comes with dipping sauces like sauce tartare, sauce bourguignonne, which you can approximate by mixing ketchup and mayo and .. maybe? Some red wine reduction if you want to be fancy about it. Sauce bearnaise, mayo, etc....

I remember walking in the kitchen before lunch while my mum was dicing the meat and I would eat cubes of raw meat, I loved it!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif  
Fondue bourguignonne was the term I was looking for, but couldn't remember last night.  My brain was mush yesterday-and, no, not from drinking the day before! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/surprised.gif   As for the "classic" sauces that usually accompany it I will probably be staying way from any of the Hollandaise based ones or reduction sauces.
Thai Crying Tiger dipping sauce called jaew. It calls for dried chili powder, but I've had plenty of versions made with fresh Thai chilies.

The toasted rice powder can be made in minutes. Just google homemade toasted rice powder, Its a common enough ingredient that even Epicurious has a recipe for toasted rice powder on their site.

Jaew (from Meat Wave web site)
* 3 tablespoons fish sauce
* 3 tablespoons lime juice
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions
* 2 teaspoons dried red pepper powder
* 1 teaspoon palm or light brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon toasted rice powder*
That looks tasty.  Thanks!

Joined Jun 27, 2012
All of my ideas have been suggested so just tell Dad happy bday from me and the fisherman.

I don't need to say it but you are soso fortunate to still have the chain of command intact.

Do you have many sibs?

mimi

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Just me and my brother, and our families (my wife and our 2 daughter, his wife and their 2 daughters).

Top Bottom