Foie gras ideas?

Joined Jan 22, 2018
So I will have the opportunity to get some fresh foie gras liver soon and will make foie gras torchon as well as cooking some. The problem is I have limited experience actually eating it and even less preparing dishes with it. an if I am going to spend good money I would like to get the most practice and variety out of the liver available.

aside from having foie gras on toast with salads and the like I do not have alot of experience any creative suggestions/food pairings would be greatly appreciated.

Joined May 22, 2018
Cross hatch, hard sear like a big 3oz portion, and put in the oven until like medium rare/medium unicorn, serve with rhubarb gastrique, and some pickled rhubarb, serve with toast points, classic. Or confit it in red wine serve cold. don't fuck it up tho.

Joined May 5, 2010
So I will have the opportunity to get some fresh foie gras liver soon and will make foie gras torchon as well as cooking some. The problem is I have limited experience actually eating it and even less preparing dishes with it. an if I am going to spend good money I would like to get the most practice and variety out of the liver available.

aside from having foie gras on toast with salads and the like I do not have alot of experience any creative suggestions/food pairings would be greatly appreciated.

I would have to agree with brianshaw here...Please make sure you understand Foi Gras before you attempt to cook it.
There's preparation involved before you cook the liver. BTW....I'm jealous....

Joined Jan 22, 2018
I would have to agree with brianshaw here...Please make sure you understand Foi Gras before you attempt to cook it.
There's preparation involved before you cook the liver. BTW....I'm jealous....
I have read up on how to make it. and how to de vane the liver, but sadly what is considered classic food pairings I do not have the experience with. all the preparation involved is what I am actually most looking forward to as this is my first real go with it. But if I am going to make a kilo of liver I would like ideas on different ways to serve it other than just cold on toast as my family and I will be the ones eating it(and a few friends)

Joined Sep 26, 2017
The book "Foie Gras: A Passion" by Michael A. Ginor is rather excellent.

It gives you a ton of ways to use the stuff.

But if you don't want to spend the money, I can you give the key to using foie gras that I've learned from the book: "just add it to whatever dishes you normally make as an extra ingredient." ;)

It goes well with everything, really.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
The book "Foie Gras: A Passion" by Michael A. Ginor is rather excellent.

It gives you a ton of ways to use the stuff.

But if you don't want to spend the money, I can you give the key to using foie gras that I've learned from the book: "just add it to whatever dishes you normally make as an extra ingredient." ;)

It goes well with everything, really.
... just like truffle and egg-with-runny-yolk. :)

Joined May 5, 2010
I have read up on how to make it. and how to de vane the liver, but sadly what is considered classic food pairings I do not have the experience with. all the preparation involved is what I am actually most looking forward to as this is my first real go with it. But if I am going to make a kilo of liver I would like ideas on different ways to serve it other than just cold on toast as my family and I will be the ones eating it(and a few friends)

I'm glad that you understand Foi Gras.
To that end, the liver flavor blends well with many things. Fruits like peaches, raspberries, apricots, blood orange, even grapes, add a kick in the mouth when paired. Fresh herbs accentuate the liver flavor.
Wilted greens like spinach, kale, chard, or broccoli rabbe go well as a mound under the liver.
I like the runny egg idea above, and would counter that with a nicely sauteed liver in butter and olive oil, then de-glazed with red wine, the fond scraped....reduce and add re-constituted wild mushrooms. Pour this over the Foi and add a poached quail egg. Yummy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom