Chef Forum banner

Foie gras ideas?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  automati 
#1 ·
So I will have the opportunity to get some fresh foie gras liver soon and will make foie gras torchon as well as cooking some. The problem is I have limited experience actually eating it and even less preparing dishes with it. an if I am going to spend good money I would like to get the most practice and variety out of the liver available.

aside from having foie gras on toast with salads and the like I do not have alot of experience any creative suggestions/food pairings would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
So I will have the opportunity to get some fresh foie gras liver soon and will make foie gras torchon as well as cooking some. The problem is I have limited experience actually eating it and even less preparing dishes with it. an if I am going to spend good money I would like to get the most practice and variety out of the liver available.

aside from having foie gras on toast with salads and the like I do not have alot of experience any creative suggestions/food pairings would be greatly appreciated.
I would have to agree with brianshaw here...Please make sure you understand Foi Gras before you attempt to cook it.
There's preparation involved before you cook the liver. BTW....I'm jealous....

#5 ·
I have read up on how to make it. and how to de vane the liver, but sadly what is considered classic food pairings I do not have the experience with. all the preparation involved is what I am actually most looking forward to as this is my first real go with it. But if I am going to make a kilo of liver I would like ideas on different ways to serve it other than just cold on toast as my family and I will be the ones eating it(and a few friends)

#6 ·
The book "Foie Gras: A Passion" by Michael A. Ginor is rather excellent.

It gives you a ton of ways to use the stuff.

But if you don't want to spend the money, I can you give the key to using foie gras that I've learned from the book: "just add it to whatever dishes you normally make as an extra ingredient." ;)

It goes well with everything, really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.